Ridges in hollowed areas

Using the spiral hollow out I am getting ridges where it changes direction. This is a single full depth cut with the 1/8 straight flute flat end mill that comes with the beginner set.

Should I be using the x or y axis pattern instead?

I trained the machine and got it within 0.01” across about 22” span on both x and y axis. It improved but not a lot.

Before tram:

After tram photo blurred and I have the machine surfacing off the last carve :frowning:

We might need a little more information:

1. What is “full depth” for the area?
  2. What are the speeds/feeds?
  3. What material are you using?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Hi Scott,

Personally I raster with the grain for stripes like that…
I actually made a video detailing my process for making flags, this process (and slight variation of the star portion for when I add logos and emblems) is how I do all my flags and they come out great every time…

1 Like

Pine and mdf for test carves. Intend to do maple eventually but saving $ while getting process right.

Default speeds and feeds for those materials with the Inventables branded bit. https://www.inventables.com/technologies/solid-carbide-2-flute-straight-end-mill

Stripe depth is only 0.05”, so with default speeds and feeds that’s a single pass.

I do have a detail path with V bit but that isn’t the cause. The ridges are there before that.

I’ll try again today with an x-axis raster.

1 Like

If you use the raster and you still have ridges where the toolpaths overlap, you will likely need to tram the machine in a little better. It can be a painful and tedious task, but it is worth it in the end.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Getting the Y axis trammed was the worst part. I’m not seeing any screws that can do that and it looks like it has to be shimmed between the router carraige and the part with the long z-axis screw.

Process started with it looking like this.

1. Surface with a y-axis raster.
  2. Minor groove to mark off stars area then stain.
  3. Rough pass on stripes with x-axis raster.
  4. Detail pass on stripes with 60 degree V. I’m guessing carve type won’t matter here as it is basically tracing the edge only.
  5. Detail only pass for stars/army logo/army motto (in stripes) with 60 degree V. It would take longer do a roughing detail on this than just to do the detail. I’m thinking on this I should be using the spiral pattern due to the stars. The rest of it is engraving in lines basically.
  6. 1/8 straight bit to cut out from the stock.

I’ll report back results this evening. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

Raster fixed the problem. Thanks again guys. There are minor lines in the cavity showing the tool paths. I suspect that’s an MDF issue and likely barely noticeable on wood with a grain.

1 Like

Hi Scott,

The smaller lines from the tool are as described above, but the slight ramp when it turns the corner is because the dust hood is too low. When the bristles changed direction, they lift the bit. Make sure to set the dust hood height JUST touching the surface :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought a new brush for dust collection and replaced the dewalt with the makita. Thought uneven z cuts were due to the router switch, then I read this post. When I ran I cut with no dust collection it was perfect. The new brush was just too darn inflexible. Thanks so much!