Rough edge with v bits on detail

hello all, ive been having an issue with my detail path when usually using a 60 degree bit. making wooden signs, the edges have been “furry” for lack of a better term. the open areas I can sand after the fact but tight spaces is very hard to get in and clean up by hand. ive switched bits. using brand new bits as well. do you guys have any tips for getting a smooth detail cut on the vbits. im using the recommended cut settings. ive used walnut, pine, bass, poplar and seem to get the same result with all. thanks guys

Some pics may help.
It sounds like your bit is dull

I was having an issue with ‘fuzzy’ cuts with my 60 and 90 degree bits. I had some play in the lower v-rollers and the z axis and I turned the eccentric space on one side and tightened the nut and it seems to be doing much better. (I hope I named the part correctely).

Best wishes!

Hello @StephenLeeDavis - Been through this a few times myself. Here are tips that will help:

1. I put sanding sealer on my wood, really, really slop it on and let it dry (mostly) before v-carving. This helps a great deal and if you are filling with paint later, helps immensly. This even works with MDF. Let it soak in and dry. You can even do a coat, let it dry, sand it and do another coat. All depends on how much time you have.

2. Again IF you have time, run the same tool path TWICE. The second path does a great job of cleaning up the cut. If you have really good control, you can also re-zero z axis .001" below the first run. This works great too.

3. Get a new v-bit and SAVE IT. Use your old nasty v-bit for everything EXCEPT really detailed fine v-carving. A new bit is just… amazing. So- - have one pristine, new bit and one old nasty that will last and last… until it is replaced by your old new bit… and so on. A brand new v-bit does a great job and then it does a good job… for a long time.

4. Finish your work first sanding the surface with a palm sander with the roughest grit you can get away with. Like 100. This does a great job of cleaning out v-carves. THEN - follow up with these guys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010AHSB5S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Go over your entire carving, lightly at 0 degrees, then 90 degrees and then 180 and then 270. VERY light pressure, let the fuzzy wheel do the work. THen it is helpful to use compressed air to clean away the mess.

I hope this helps. I’ve made hundreds and hundreds of paint filled engravings, and sanding sealer/double engrave and sand method is the best I have found.

1 Like

Great tips guys thank you!! I will check my spacers and run the cut again if need be to see if that helps. The bits are brand new so have to mess with something else. As always thanks a ton

Me too…