Roughing cuts

hey all I’m doing a 2 bit project the first i used was riugh cut but a single flute end mill but the 2nd v’60 detail bit. the rough cut didn’t do all that well on a peice of popular what did i do wrong?

What are the symptoms of it “not doing too well” as you mentioned above? Were your feeds/speeds too high? Pictures are worth a thousand words in this case.

{:0)

Brandon R. Parker

Well, the stringiness is to be expected with the material (poplar is a string wood) and an upcut bit (pulls the topmost cut upward as it shears so some strings are expected).

The bottom finish looks terrible. To me, it looks like either the roughing bit is not secured, the V-Wheels are loose, or the toolpaths are way too aggressive. The toolpaths would have to be really aggressive since poplar is a soft hardwood.

Since the image was taken with the carving in progress, the outcome of the V-Bit is indeterminate, but make sure you are getting a good Z-Zero for the detail pass.

{:0)

Brandon R. Parker

1 Like

thank you I’ll take another look at it and try again

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.