Running Easel on Raspberry Pi

@Hugo Great! I’ve updated the driver to automatically change the code for you, so if you ever re-install it will handle that for you.

CC @DwayneK.Johnson and @AlexBirkett - can you try re-installing the latest easel-driver and let me know if it works for you? Assuming your Arduinos are using the CH340 serial chip, the driver now simulates an FTDI driver when it detects CH340 so that Easel will recognize it.

Hi Samy, what I’m trying to do is run my mini cnc 3018 machine using my Pi 4 via usb connection whenever using easel it asks me to download either Mac windows or linux driver so I do and they never open always says error code what I uploaded before… Any idea’s?

It works on my end as well - for local Easel via Raspberry Pi.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Now I have to tackle the remote easel connection.

still have issues going from my mac to my raspberry pi. I used the command listed above and this message was returned “Ncat: bind to 0.0.0.0:1438: Address already in use. QUITTING”

@DwayneK.Johnson the “Address already in use” is because you have the Easel driver running locally as well. You need to kill that and move the startup script out of the way:

tigerblood:/Users/samy$ ps uawx|grep -i iris
root             33679   0.0  0.2  4942540  31724   ??  Ss   12:44PM   0:00.21 /Library/Easel/Iris/bin/node /Library/Easel/Iris/iris.js
tigerblood:/Users/samy$ sudo mv /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Iris.Iris.plist ~/Documents/
tigerblood:/Users/samy$ sudo pkill -f iris.js
tigerblood:/Users/samy$ ps uawx|grep -i iris

You can always move it back and restart.

@AlexBirkett Are you using the web interface on the same Pi or a different machine?

Hi @SamyKamkar im using the same Pi for web interface and powering the CNC from one of the Pi’s usb sockets

my cnc is also a mini 3018 machine trying to power it using the Pi’s usb connection and using same pi on web interface

@SamyKamkar if need to contact me please drop me a email Alex-Birkett@outlook.com as its easier to reply as its connected to my iPhone

Hi Samy, thank you for all your work on this. I had our school’s newest X-carve up and running from an R-Pi using your drivers back in March but had to leave the machines all un loved at school due to the COVID mess, until last week. When I tried to run it today, Easel could no longer find the X-controller and reported that I needed to install the drivers. I tried to run it from the Windows laptop I use for one of the other machines and was again prompted to install the drivers, so obviously there has been a change. But actually I was hoping to run all three machines on R-Pi.

I tried to reinstall the R-Pi drivers from your GitHub and that appeared to go well, but when I rebooted and attempted to run the machine, I still didn’t get a green carve button and was again prompted to install the drivers. If you or anyone on this thread has a suggestion, my students and I would be grateful.

Hi @ChristopherDahle, what happens if you run screen -r easel?

If that returns nothing, what about output of cat ~/easel-driver/screenlog.0

It’s possible it didn’t run on boot up, in which case you can run: cd ~/easel-driver && node iris.js to run it, to run it in the background, cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -L -dmS easel node iris.js

Hi Samy, I’ll run through your suggestions step by step and post the results here:

1. what happens if you run screen -r easel ?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ screen -r easel
There is no screen to be resumed matching easel.

1. what about output of cat ~/easel-driver/screenlog.0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat ~/easel-driver/screenlog.0
Cannot exec ‘node’: No such file or directory
Cannot exec ‘node’: No such file or directory

1. possible it didn’t run on boot up, in which case you can run: cd ~/easel-driver && node iris.js
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ~/easel-driver && node iris.js
    bash: node: command not found

2. to run it in the background, cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -L -dmS easel node iris.js
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -L -dmS easel node iris.js
    pi@raspberrypi:~/easel-driver $

Well, no joy on any of these. I still can’t get a green carve button.

I will post this, and then try rebooting the Pi to see if that helps anything.

If that doesn’t work, given all the command, file and directory errors above, I will proceed on the hypotheses that I some how “broke” some part linux when re-installing the drivers on top of the original installation…maybe I messed up a directory path or something. Anyway, I have an untouched NOOBS card and I will use it to create a new Raspbian installation, then I’ll reload the drivers using the handy script you posted at GitHub.

But first, I will try rebooting to see if magical thinking might help. I’m posting this at 21:20 GMT and I’ll report back in an hour, or sooner if the magical thinking helps.

@ChristopherDahle Very weird that there’s no Node. I’d suggest reinstalling easel-driver which has some recent updates to node/npm
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/samyk/easel-driver/master/easel-driver.sh | sh -x

Thanks, I have a fresh install of Raspbian now and just finished installing all updates. I am going to run curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/samyk/easel-driver/master/easel-driver.sh | sh -x
right now.

OK that’s done but the output is way to long to post. I did not observe any obvious errors or problems while the script ran.

I will try to launch Easel now, as soon as I power up the X-Controller…

…and…

…nope. Easel loads, but oddly, the preview display appears upside down. Clicking on a blue Carve button opened an “install driver” prompt.

I am guessing that I need to reboot to allow the drivers to take effect. Posting this at 22:40 GMT and then rebooting.

Nope, rebooted, launched Easel. Still no green CARVE Icon. Preview pane shows the work area of the X-Carve as upside down, as if I was looking at a transparent work surface from the bottom.

I am going to re-run the instructions you gave earlier and post the results.

1. run screen -r easel ?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ screen -r easel
There is no screen to be resumed matching easel.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

1. If that returns nothing, what about output of cat ~/easel-driver/screenlog.0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat ~/easel-driver/screenlog.0
cat: /home/pi/easel-driver/screenlog.0: No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

1. It’s possible it didn’t run on boot up, in which case you can run: cd ~/easel-driver && node iris.js to run it

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ~/easel-driver && node iris.js
bash: node: command not found

1. to run it in the background, cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -L -dmS easel node iris.js

pi@raspberrypi:~/easel-driver $ cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -L -dmS easel node iris.js

Still no good. Just for grins, I’ll run curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/samyk/easel-driver/master/easel-driver.sh | sh -x again…

…and no good. I must be emitting neutrinos or positrons today and playing havoc with the tech.

Guess I will retreat for an hour or so and go give my daughter a driving lesson, that should reduce my stress level. I’m going to make the Pi sit in a corner and think about its obstreperous ways. Posting this at 23:30 GMT.

Totally new to xcarve and raspberry pi, but I got them talking thanks to all your work! I am having an issue with my 3D view being backwards. The material is below the grid and everything is backwards. Not sure if this will have any effect on the cut, or if it’s just some stupid user error.
Any insight would be great!

Thank you

Did you actually get your R Pi to talk to the X Controller? Mine will not and I still have the upside down issue. Frustrating because we had it working in March, but something in the R Pi OS, or in Easel, or in some package changed between March and late July. Unfortunately I have had no time to even look at it since my last post here.

@ChristopherDahle can you try the latest version? I believe nvm changed on Raspberry Pi, at least a recent user had that, so I added support for alternate nvm locations which might be related.

You can reinstall just as you’d normally install:

@SamyKamkar First of all, thanks for building this. It’s fantastic to be able to use a raspberry pi. Great work!

I have a couple of unique issues.

I’m unable to connect to the x-carve after rebooting my raspberry pi. The quickest solution I’ve found is to just reinstall the easel-driver after reboot. I’m sure there’s a simple fix for this, I just haven’t taken the time to sift through the logs to see what’s going on yet.

But the bigger issue I have is with Chromium locking up. Almost like clockwork, after roughly 20 minutes of carving, the x-carve stops and returns to home position. Chromium is locked up at this point and eventually crashes. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks! The reboot issue sounds like something with crontab…You should be able to start it up manually:
cd ~/easel-driver && /usr/bin/screen -dmS easel node iris.js

There may be a file ~/easel-driver/screenlog.0 with more details on the error if you can paste that.