Safety Height - Origin Height

I’m new to Easel Pro. I created a design for a 3 pocket catch-all tray that also has a vbit carve in one pocket (separate toolpath). I used the default safety height 0.15 but increased the origin height to 0.8 since my workpiece is 7.67 in thick. I first tried to carve by entering a value of the pocket depth 0.375 + the carve depth of 0.200 - nothing carved (air pass). I then reset Z using the vbit at the bottom of the pocket and reset the carve depth to 0.200. This carved fine except when finished, the bit didn’t retract to a clearing height and chopped through the side of the pocket to return to home.

Not certain what I did wrong. Could someone please educate me here?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,
try from top of surface material?

Ken

Thanks for your reply. My first step after pocketing was to probe for Z with the change to vbit. Placed probe upside down adjacent to pocket at top of material, but it didn’t carve, that’s when I reset Z at bottom of the pocket. Carved great but ruined piece on retract

Tom,

that’s completely understandable, always zero out top of material or waste board from same location.
in your case you done your pocket and zeroed out in your pocket which your cnc didn’t know it was in your pocket (or increase the safety height for this part of carve).

FYI: at least you have an ash tray now :nerd_face: :disguised_face:

Ken

You’re right, but, sadly I don’t know any smokers.

Tom

1 Like

You can also do it this way!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.