Safety Recomendations For an X-Carve Enclosure

Regular foam isn’t going to be dense enough for the frequencies that you need to cancel out. Dynamat or Stinger Roadkill would work good. Also I would look into making a Torsion Table to rest the X-Carve on. Fill the cells of the Torsion Table with Melamine foam and the Torsion Table will be completely silent.

The best way to get rid of noise is not to create it. Look into getting a water cooled spindle for a much quieter spindle.

Thank you, I will look onto those. I already built a table for the cnc, and I kind of don’t want to build another. I wish I would have known that earlier. I will also look at that foam you are talking about. A water cooled spindle sounds interesting but if I go for it, I would have to wait, I’m starting to burn a large hole in my wallet.

1 Like

So a but of an update. After lots of work and patience, I have continued upgrading, and testing the X-Carve. I have installed a nice T-Slot bed, added a drill press vice (I hopefully will upgrade to a milling vice soon, but it will do for now). I also added some inside panels to the Y-axis to give it more rigidity, and ordered some Destiny Viper, endmills. My results with the machine so far have gone very well. I have experimented with some feeds and speeds, edge finding (its not automatic just quite yet), and moved from Easel, to Fusion360 and Universal G-Code Sender. I figured that I should wait until school to build the enclosure, since I can get credits for building it in fabrication class.

The quality of the parts I’m producing is really good, and currently I am improving the accuracy of the machine, and will be replacing the Z-axis for a greater range.

1 Like