ScrewDrive Upgrade Kit (New and updated Thread)

Phil has a couple of these on his youtube channel, Xcarve symphony orchestra

Yours are much better than mine. Jealous

Hello all.

After successfully upgrading the z axis, I decided to make the 9mm belt upgrade for my xcarve. Living in Tahiti, it took several weeks to obtain everything including Nema 23 motors Bipolar 1.8deg 1.9Nm (269oz.in). In the mean time I changed my mind and went with the lead screw upgrade kit. I placed the order a few days ago. I was wondering if I could use those motors with the lead screw kit. If so, what would be the proper settings and what modifications should I expect?

Also, since I am lost in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I would like to order spare parts for the kit. What parts are more likely to break or wear off? If I order parts only when they break, it takes several weeks to arrive. I had the experience with the z belt that broke a week after the xcarve arrived. Had to wait 3 weeks to get a new one.

Thank you.

1 Like

I have not had anything break since I started using the upgrade but I would suggest getting extra nut blocks.

Thank you Phantomm. How can I order some?
What do you think about the motors? Are they adequate ?

1 Like

They are adequate / plenty strong :slight_smile:
With ACME screws you will loose top-end speed but gain accuracy and “muscle” compared to belts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to be adding a parts section to the website pretty soon.

I just want to say I am very happy with this upgrade. My machine is MUCH more accurate. I was finally able to do two stage carves of small letters. They are very crisp and detailed, saving me a lot of time. Very glad I did this. Thanks to all

Clay

3 Likes

where do you work Phil? Mining equipment?

Think bigger. Then its prob even bigger.

Im a field engineer in the mining industry as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean glorified mechanic? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

hahaha you could say that. Maybe I should have said Electrical Field Engineer :wink: Except I actually like to get dirty.

1 Like

¿using a blow torch to remove the gear? all the coils must be making short circuit…
but you removed the gear. LOL. Jajajajaja
how much is a new Step Motor? $50usd.?

Oriental Motor has a nice offer / catalog.

ScrewDrive Kit +2" Lift
$550.00
http://mfxworkshop.com/store/p1/ScrewDrive_Kit__2"_Lift.html

Full Swap Kit for upgrading the X and Y axis away from belts to leadscrews and add an extra 2" on the Z space while your at it. There is no Z upgrade included just to be clear. I would recommend using: Xcarve SLIDER
(X-Carve Slider 8"+1")
And for dust extraction: https://www.suckitdustboot.com/x-carve (Get the extended arms.)

i have some questions:

Upgrade Kit is Aluminium 6063 ?
or is it, Steel like the original ?
Material: 12ga. (0.1046") thick cold rolled steel SAE 1008/1010.

for $550usd it better be from Titanium. LOL. Jajajaja

Hey my keys are famous now! lol

Anyone else experience terrible noise when Laser engraving with this upgrade? I am just about done with setting up new drivers, doing some calibration and tests… with the small back and forth movement during laser engraving it sounds terrible.

The engrave looks good, precise and all, just suppppper loud.

For a no load situation you can set the step rate much higher. Also it all comes down to resonance. What your machine is sitting on. Loose parts. It all adds up.

X-Carve 2017 has 3 sizes, 500, 750 & 1000

Mfx upgrade kit cannot be 1 size fits all, for what size is it?

https://mfxworkshop.com/product/screwdrive-kit-2-lift/

the plates are indeed one size fits all…the only thing that is shipped based on your machine size are the acme lead screws…you will be sent 3 appropriately long acme screws that fit your machine size

1 Like