ScrewDrive Upgrade Kit (New and updated Thread)

Hello,

I have finale received the kit and installed it. Everything went well for the installation. All the pieces arrived undamaged. I made the changes to Grbl and recalibrated the motor steps.
Everything went fine when I jogged in small steps (10 mm) at a time. But when I move the X axis multiple times the motor stops with a struggling noise. This happens from left to right only. No problems when going right to left. I noticed that the X screw was bent due to the carriage being too low relative to the side bearings. A couple of washers did the trick but I still have the same problem when jogging from left to right. The Y axis have no issue.

Anyone has an idea whats going on?

Thank you.

What controller are you using? And is your coupler tightened properly on the motor shaft and acme?

Using X Controller. Coupler seem to be correctly mounted. The weird thing is that it happens left to right only.

Either power is lacking or acceleration is too high.

Acceleration is set at 4000, and that doesn’t seem high. I set the Y axis at 8000 to test, it was doing fine. As for the power I think I would have the same problem with right to left movment as well, and same for the Y axis.

I also changed the switches settings according to your recommandations to
OFF
OFF
ON
OFF
but the motors were doing a strong noise even when not moving. So I but everything back to
ON
OFF
ON
OFF

In the precipitation, I applyed the same setting to the Z axis, and now it moves only 2.5 mm instead of 10 mm. It is set on
OFF
ON
OFF
OFF

Please help

Can you call me?

yes sure

Let’s schedule for tomorrow evening at 6pm EST.

What’s your GMT (time zone)?

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:

ok that’s gonna be 12:00 AM for me. I hope it is right

Try me earlier then.

Change $110-111 to 3000 and retest.

I do not have Phantomms kit but use ACME myself and my CNC would occationally stall at 4000.

4K is the max. Also set the stepping to 1/4 or half. But most importantly lubricate the acme for smoother operation. Silicone.

I have set to 3500 and it works fine. I’ll try to tune everything and move up the value to see. Thank you @HaldorLonningdal

@Phantomm I have my pins set to ON - OFF - ON - OFF, what’s the difference wif your recommandation: OFF - OFF - ON - OFF ?

Just finished configuring everything. I notice a couple of things and I just want to know if that’t normal:

The motors got very hot, very fast. I ran a quick 50mm circle test, single pass and the motors feel hot to the touch. Didn’t happen with the old configuration.

Also the machine is now much louder, I will play with slower settings to try to minimize this, but I’m wondering if the first issue has to do with the pins positions? maybe if I set the 4th pin to ON it will help ?

Hot motors are not a problem until the case temperature exceed 170deg F (about 80degC)
If you can place the hand on your motor case and keep it there for 2s or longer you are good.

If you are uncomfortable with the heat reduce the current limiter of your drivers a notch.

1 Like

It reached 70c after just 20 minutes sitting on the table. Is this expected ? I would imagine it would easily surpass 80 if the machine is runing for longer than 20 minutes.

Some steppers can work under enough heat to fry an egg.

What’s your stepper driver current setting?