Signing your projects?

I would like to know if you are signing or marking your projects when completed and if you are, what do you do? Do you carve, put a stamp, a sticker or something else. Is it discrete? Do you provide your coordinates so a potential customer can reach you? Is it effective? Do you have words of wisdom concerning this?

I’ve just started to do this. I made a branding stamp out of some brass so I can brand my carves. I put the brand on the back of the item or in a discrete place. I don’t really expect to get any potential customers from the brand, I more or less like the idea of “signing” my work.

3 Likes

Thank you Ethan, this is a nice brand. I think that a brand works well on raw or lightly treated wood but what about painted signs? Does it work? Recently I’ve been making a bunch of painted signs for outdoors and want something discrete but people already asked who made the signs and would I make some for them so I want to give some way of contacting me if they don’t know me. For outdoor signs I paint both sides to ensure the wood does not warp. I tried the laser printed sheet with acetone trick but it does not work on treated wood. A brand or carve may not show well on dark projects either. Since I’m just doing this as a hobby, I don’t want to spend too much money on commercially printed stickers that would resist being outside besides it may be too invasive or not generate any leads.

I have a laser for my machine and laser engrave everything i do on the bottom or back.

1 Like

You might consider making a stamp:

1 Like

I use a sharpie, and if a dark color a silver paint pen.

1 Like

Staple a business card on the back and sign/date in Sharpie right underneath. Have your website on the card and boom. Easy repeat business.

1 Like