SketchUp to Easel

I am trying to find a simple solution to export line drawings from SketchUp (without faces) and import to easel. From what I see, SVG and gCode are the only two methods for importing, and both are not an option for SketchUp. There used to be a plugin called “flightofideas”, but that no longer works… (I couldn’t get it to work on 2016 or 2017 SketchUp on Mac).

I tried exporting STL, but I think STL’s have to be faced in order to export… Every time I export STL’s without a face, the file is empty.

So, does anyone know of a way to build in SketchUp and get it into Easel? I know there are other programs out there, but I use SketchUp for other designing as well, and would like to continue design in one program suite if possible.

I think you can save from SketchUp as DXF then I think Inkscape can load DXF and save as SVG. I’ve not done it so it’s pure speculation. I think going out of SketchUp as DXF is probably the best avenue but it’s been awhile since I’ve used SketchUp.

I use Sketchup 2017 on a Mac running 10.11.6 and I have that plugin working just fine. It’s a modified version and I found it after searching/reading a lot of threads. I got it from here:

Hope this helps!

Try installing the SketchUcam plugin. I was going to use it when I first got my X-CARVE, but I lost interest in Sketchup altogether.

{:0)

Brandon

I had to do just the same thing recently. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out an easy way to export SVG from SketchUp. My workaround was to export an STL file from SketchUp, open it in MeshMixer and then export the object to SVG. The only problem I ran into is the scaling was off and I had to resize my objects…

Thanks for all of the help. The version of JoakimSoderberg worked great. I had to manually install it into the plugin folder, and one of the most important things I learned about flightofideas… ONE OBJECT HAS TO BE FACED (that yelling was for me) in order for the plugin to export. I tried exporting just lines… in fact, i purposely deleted the faces and that was my hang up. I did notice that going directly from SketchUp to Easel rendered weird results with placement and sizing, so I imported to MakerCam first, fixed all of my placements (sizes were perfect in MakerCam) and then went into Easel from there.

I am going to see what this SketchUCam is about as well, thanks.

BrandonR_Parker. What are you using now?

[quote=“WilliamRoberts, post:6, topic:33031, full:true”]
…The version of JoakimSoderberg worked great. I had to manually install it into the plugin folder, and one of the most important things I learned about flightofideas… ONE OBJECT HAS TO BE FACED (that yelling was for me) in order for the plugin to export. I tried exporting just lines… in fact, i purposely deleted the faces and that was my hang up. I did notice that going directly from SketchUp to Easel rendered weird results with placement and sizing, so I imported to MakerCam first, fixed all of my placements (sizes were perfect in MakerCam) and then went into Easel from there…[/quote]

Forgot to mention you needed an intermediate step. I don’t have to adjust anything in makercam, just open and save. But as you discovered, it’s just for faced objects. :wink: Now…SketchUcam just locks up my Sketchup app rendering it totally useless. I’ve given up on that one. It’s done it now on two separate MacBooks.