Small bumps in fonts

Here’s a problem that I had with my last two carves on Corian. I tend to get little “squiggles” in my fonts. This particular font is “Abel”. It is part of the Easel fonts. It appears that the router needs to make another thin pass to remove the squiggle…but it doesn’t. AND, it doesn’t happen on every letter.

1 Like

bite less material and a little slower, also check your belts? possibly need to tighten up belts?

3 Likes

When you say “bite less material”, how am I addressing that?

1 Like

cut setting>depth per pass

3 Likes

Gotcha! I will be trying this very soon. I appreciate your help @Ken4

2 Likes

I think this is the key… do a once over of the machine… Adjust the Belts and Eccentric Nuts (for adjusting the Vwheel tension onto the rails) & you’ll probably fix the issue right here… X-Carve Instructions: Calibration and Maintenace

and what Ken said about Depth Per Pass could improve the outcome as well. :+1:

2 Likes

I agree with Ken and Seth. The X-Carves are great machines, but they are not very stiff so you need to be careful about your settings, setup and bit choices to get the best results.

Try this some time. Set the machine up to do a carve. Lower the bit until it just touches the material and spin the collet/bit to mark a circle representing the bit cut area. Now raise the bit just off the surface and push on the bit or collet (spindle off obviously) with a few lbs of force in the x and y direction and see how much the bit deflects off center when pressed. Also, push up and down on the spindle (Z dir) and see how much that deflects the bit.

The bit should always return to center (no hysteresis) when the force is released. If not there is something mechanically loose on your setup (V wheels probably). You also want to minimize any deflection. This is usually improved by tensioning the belt correctly.

Cut forces on your bit can easily reach a several lbs, so what ever deflection you get will show up as cut inaccuracies. Slowing down and cutting less deep reduces the cut force on the bit which improves cut accuracy.

Ultimately if you want to cut faster you will need to mod your machine for improved stiffness. There are several threads on this forum that deal with that. Improving the stiffness is probably only necessary if you are cutting aluminum or using the machine as a business to make money. Good luck!

2 Likes

@Ken4 Your advice worked perfectly. The y axis was pretty good. But, the x axis was terribly loose! The change in weather here in Illinois really does a number. Did a new carve after tightening and everything is straight as an arrow.
Thanks everyone for your help!!!
Thanks again to @SethCNC as well!!!

1 Like

From the pictures you posted, it looks like you are not carving your font with a V-bit. A V-bit is made to make a clean, smooth edge without wiggles. It can be used on any material, including Corian. To get the best results, make sure your machine is set to the right depth and that the cutting speed is right for the material you are using. Also, make sure to check your work twice before you move on to the next letter or job.

30-degree v-bit was used.

Looks like backlash from belt stretch.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.