Smooth Z transitions

When doing a multi-pass carve (depth > depth per pass), the Z plunge always occurs at the same position. This can result in an aberration (defect in the carved edge) where the plunge happens.

What I’d like to see it do instead is perform a “smooth” z transition through each layer, by distributing small Z changes throughout the entire pattern on one pass, and then continue until the last pass which holds the final Z position at the desired cut depth.

This would basically eliminate the Z plunge entirely, although it would require an extra pass at the end, by spreading the Z plunge out over all the prior X/Y movements. Basically, the carve would start at the plunge point with a Z0, and then slowly move Z down as it carves the pattern back to the start point where it’s now reached Z at the depth per pass, then continue on without stopping.

This would completely eliminate visible marks on the cut edge from the plunge point.

1 Like

That is a really good idea. Not sure if it’s trivial or not, but hopefully something the devs consider.

Other software uses methods called lead in and lead out and ramp in which work really well (v carve). I beleive the method you describe is available using Fusion 360, think it’s called thread milling. I have seen somebody use it to create inside and outside threads with a special bit and appropriate spacing.

That is true.

Fusion360 allow for lead-in/out, also a smooth Z-change during helical/ramp plunge.
One can assign different feedrates for these transitional movements aswell.

A straight plunge is very hard on the typical end mill and will cause a defect in the carved edge as stated by the OP.

1 Like