[SOLVED] Cutting Shapes Correctly, Axis not moving properly over long distances

Similar to @WilliamPaukert, my X-Carve is not not cutting in the proper location. William’s issue ended in a replacement Arduino, but there appear to be troubleshooting steps that could be taken. It appears that the Y axis isn’t sliding far enough back the board when making initial movements. After that the 4 circles I cut seemed to be appropriately circular.

Perhaps if @TaitLeswing can help here, if mine doesn’t require a replacement part we might help others.

In the interim I’ll ensure I have everything installed that @TaitLeswing suggested and then continue troubleshooting on my own.

Links from Tait’s previous troubleshooting

Previous Article - [Solved!] X carve cutting the right shape, but in the wrong location
First Troubleshooting steps - [Solved!] X carve cutting the right shape, but in the wrong location
Universal G-Code Sender - https://github.com/winder/Universal-G-Code-Sender
Adruino IDE - https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Virtual COM Port (VCP) Driver - http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
XLoader .hex image loader - http://russemotto.com/xloader/

Results of running $$ in UGS after Running EEPROM_CLEAR and using XLoader to push the .hex file from Open Source Design Documentation

UGS Output

$0=10 (step pulse, usec)
$1=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$2=0 (step port invert mask:00000000)
$3=3 (dir port invert mask:00000011)
$4=0 (step enable invert, bool)
$5=0 (limit pins invert, bool)
$6=0 (probe pin invert, bool)
$10=3 (status report mask:00000011)
$11=0.020 (junction deviation, mm)
$12=0.002 (arc tolerance, mm)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$20=0 (soft limits, bool)
$21=0 (hard limits, bool)
$22=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$23=3 (homing dir invert mask:00000011)
$24=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$25=750.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$26=250 (homing debounce, msec)
$27=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)
$100=40.000 (x, step/mm)
$101=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$102=188.947 (z, step/mm)
$110=8000.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
$111=8000.000 (y max rate, mm/min)
$112=500.000 (z max rate, mm/min)
$120=500.000 (x accel, mm/sec^2)
$121=500.000 (y accel, mm/sec^2)
$122=50.000 (z accel, mm/sec^2)
$130=290.000 (x max travel, mm)
$131=290.000 (y max travel, mm)
$132=100.000 (z max travel, mm)

@JasonMcsorley My issue turned out to be a double whammy of sorts. The first issue was the Arduino. Then when the machine was still misbehaving with the new Arduino, it was a combination of adjusting the stepper motor pots and re-tensioning the belts. Try running some long distance travel, say 12" or inches on each axis and measure to see if the machine travels the specified distance. If it doesn’t, then the problem is probably in the belts, pots or both.

The thing that is strange to me is that once it starts carving it appears to be moving appropriately (X vs. Y coordinates)

I don’t have a good microphone for this, but I did capture some video and desktop to show what I was doing.

Boy the audio is messed up…

The video is not displaying because it is private. But I will say that what you describe is the same as what my machine was doing. The paths it would cut were the correct size, shape and proportions, but just not in the right location. The issue is that the faster rapid movements, say from the home position to your carving starting point, is where the problem lies. The motor pots seem to effect the quick, rapid movements more so than the shorter and slower toolpath/carving movements. If the machine doesn’t travel to the correct starting point, all of the cutting thereafter will be off, thus cutting the right shapes but in the wrong location.

@WilliamPaukert -
Thanks for the guidance. My Y axis is fine on short movements, but longer ones it makes a strange “grinding” noise and doesn’t travel very far.

For those in wondering how I did that:

  • Download Universal GCode Sender
  • Connect it to your X-Carve (make sure to shut down Easel, etc, in order to connect)
  • Switch to the MACHINE CONTROL tab
  • carefully move the bit above some point on your waste board (I used X=0, Y=2)
  • Change the STEP SIZE to something large (I used 100mm in this case)

Thank you! You helped me solve my problem.

This article explained how to address:

Basically: Turn the POT one small notch and test again. There are images in that post that describe.

1 Like