[Solved] X-carve not connecting to Easel --> Fixed by temporarily uninstalling antivirus software

I switched one laptop to ‘Home Network’ and there was no change.

I just ran a quick test with Easel on my SO2 and had no problem at all. My shop PC is Win7/64 with Firefox.

I temporarily uninstalled my antivirus software on the basement laptop and now it connects!

I can make another thread if needed, but when moving the Z axis up and down after selecting the com port the Z axis moves part way then sequels (low-medium pitch) for rest of the movement in either direction… X & Y move fine when directed. Thoughts?

@ChristopherJones nice detective work! I’m gonna change the title of this one to mark it solved and note the solution in the title.

Please make a new thread for the second issue. We want to keep issues in their own thread to make it more useful for people in the future searching for the same problem and solutions.

Thanks. I solved the z axis issue by doing a search :slight_smile:

1 Like

Christopher, while researching your dilemma (glad you found an answer) I was able to duplicate your problem on my old laptop. Win Vista 32bit Chrome browser and AVG Antivirus.

When loading the Arduino software I got a message that it was blocked and I had to click unblock, but what I did not notice was a second message that stayed up for about 10 seconds then disappeared (I figured it was ok), I then went through the Easel setup, downloaded the local and when I started Easel again it wanted to download local again!

Thinking through what I had just done I restarted the computer (Normal for windows :weary:) and tried Easel again and sure enough it wanted to download local again! While I was sitting there confused it all of a sudden went to the Com Port setup and all was good.

Either way I’m glad your finally up and running

I’m trying to figure out how to prevent these problems, mind if I ask a few follow up questions?

What do you mean “Arduino software”? like the Arduino IDE?

Sorry I’m am very slow. Can you explain this step by step? What is the “com port setup”? How did you get from “Please install Easel Local” to getting to the com port step of Easel?

What do you mean exactly? Easel still works equally well for Shapeoko 2 and 1. Easel is not responsible for the COM port drivers, that is the Arduino. Can you elaborate on the problem you are having?

Yes, exactly. As the IDE software was loading I get a message from windows saying the access was blocked and if I want to continue or unblock, naturally its unblock (this is on Vista Home Premium 32bit)

In attempting to duplicate a problem I had my daughters laptop with a fresh factory image reloaded, after getting Arduino IDE to load I went to Easel Setup and it asked to download local which I did. After a reboot I went into Easel after signing in and it still wanted to download and install Local. It sat there for about a minute before it suddenly changed to the screen asking which com port the arduino was on. I selected the proper comport and was able to do a test run on my X-Carve.

First post here, finalizing the set up of my X-carve and i have the same problem. I initially used my PC for the first axis tests which worked fine, but now purchased a laptop pc to take to the workshop where this problem showed up.

I tried all of the above methods and nothing worked using firefox, now I tried using internet explorer and there it works. So in my case the problem is caused by Firefox, anyone have any suggestions on where the problem could be? I have certain plugins running on it but all are set to allow or not block anything coming from Easel or Inventables website. I had even uninstalled firewalls and anti-virus programs without success.

Has it every connected to Easel on your new laptop?

It works online, but as soon as I press “start carving” or “set up” then it prompts me to download Easel Local again. And if i do then it just gives me the same message again. It doesn’t do this on the firefox on my PC, only on the laptop.

Have you tried using Chrome? I think Easel was designed more closely with Chrome.

Just FYI I was having connection issues and it turned out to be my Privacy Badger Extension blocking a bunch of urls. So turn off your ad blocking software for this site and everything should work.

1 Like

I’m having troubles with downloading the easel local files. I download and run the application but nothing happens. Any ideas?
Let me know if you need to know more info

Hello everyone.

I have the same isues with my arduino.
The things look like this:

Arduino with a small chip on board works only on universal g code sender.
Arduino with a bigger chip works on both, easel and universal g code sender.

As a conclusion we could say that there is an arduino problem, but on my opinion it is an easel driver isue.

The driver should be rechecked to work on all arduino chips.

Hope that helped.

Who ever said size doesnt matter?

1 Like

We’ve added a fallback to let you enter the COM port the old-fashioned way, so go ahead and give the latest Easel Driver a try! :smile:

Check out this post for more details:

1 Like