Some Probing Ideas with the X-Carve

Hi Everyone

I have made a video showing some ideas for probing using the X-Carve. Rather than just Z probing I have taken it further to include X and Y as well.

Here is the link to the video:

Ages ago I saw a thread here on this forum where other ideas were expressed. I can only remember the first name of one of the main contributors, Charlie I think, and his ideas started me thinking about my approach.

I would advise anyone looking at the actual coding to check whether what I show is correct and certainly, if you try any of this, have your hand ready on the big red button to stop things just in case.

Peter

9 Likes

Personally I have never had or understood the need for X and Y probing.
I use bump stop method with G28 positioning and only probe for Z.
My work zero (X and Y) are always in the same place.

1 Like

Or just having a bump stop in general. Not everyone will have that.

I don’t know why anyone would not have a bump stop and homing switches? They greatly simplify the work flow.

[quote=“RobertCanning, post:6, topic”]
imagine your bump stop being there while trying to carve a 6’ long piece[/quote]
Why couldn’t you make it removable?

Awesome :+1:

Peter this is the best video on this topic that I’ve seen so far. Thank you for making it. I really like your dowel idea. Makes much more sense than using a piece of wood. Where did you get the parts to make your probe?

A bump stop can also just be reference lines on the waste board.
Just line up your material and clamp it down. Makes tiling simple as well.

I didn’t use my switches for over a year because the complexity of wiring them up (gshield+arduino) and not understanding how much grief they would save me. It took about a year of reading and learning to realize it would be worth the extra effort to get them hooked up and working. It has saved my bacon a few times when I accidentally moved the X gantry while changing bits. I’m not the best when trying to fiddle with little wires and plugs and whatnot so my implementation looks a bit sketchy, but it works. That and not having a full understanding of the wiring and connectors stopped me from moving ahead. Now that I’ve done it, I understand but for a noob, it was too much at one time. I think the newer Xcontroller makes it easier for the noob to hook this stuff up.

I’m sure this could work but personally I could not trust any bump stop that didn’t incorporate some kind of physical connection to the stop itself.

I agree with @RobertCanning use what works best for you.

I have and have used limit switches but they are not the solve all of every thing.
I have and have used a removable bump stop, but it is not the solve all of every thing.
I have and have used @CharleyThomas touch plate, it really is great, but again it is not the solve all of every thing.

every thing has it own unique problems and assets. it is up to you to learn what works for you and in which situation to make the best of it.

a lot of people are commenting like there is only one way to accomplish these task, and while that might work for you and what you do, I find it hard to believe that it would always work for all situations.

try several approaches and learn them as they will most likely come to use some time or another.

I shared a video in another post for doing the 3-axis probing in Easel using Charlie’s touch plate. Similar to this guy’s method but in Easel.

A suggestion to you from my own learnings, MOVE the XY axis before you drop the Z to the zero point. Your video shows the Z moving down then across to the XY zero point. I’ve discovered that sometimes if you’re just a hair off, you can scratch the surface of your material. And when you’re doing this on acrylic, it’s ruined!! It’s just a matter of reordering your commands at the end of the macro.

2 Likes

I have that problem all the time. Been to busy with other things since I got my Triquetra I haven’t got it set up yet.

very nice video

No, after the Z probe I raise the bit so there is no risk at all. Peter