Soundproof enclosure?

No judging … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. I’m looking for functionality, not fashion.

i like this enclosure and add sound Noise Reducing Acoustic Foam material inside.

2 Likes

I’m well behind you guys (still planning the cbeam machine I’m building) but my eventual plan is to make an enclosure similar to this:

I will then stuff the sides (and anywhere else) with old towels and make acoustic tiles as per this video:

Again, all a rough plan but I think it’s a sound enough (no pun intended).

I performed some sound attenuation test about a year ago when I was building my sound proof enclosure for my Shapeoko, and I found that foam, on its own, really doesn’t do much for isolating the noise of the router. Heavy and dense materials, like MDF and ply, performed far better. And layering dense materials on either side of a strong vibration-absorbing material, such as Sorbathane or silicone, worked best.

Basically, mechanical isolation between the interior of the box and the exterior is the key to sound isolation. During my testing, I found that simply elevating my Shapeoko on four rubber feet reduced noise by 6.5dB. I theorized that building a box-within-a-box with vibration-absorbing material in between would effectively block all sound, but I should point out that I didn’t experiment with that at full scale.

I design one and built it in a few hours. I focused on safety more than the sound. But once closed it reduced the noise level to about 50%. I could use the computer sitting next to it. If you want help I can send you the dimensions. Most of the cuts are basic except for the closing mechanism.

7 Likes

That’s pretty sweet. What size and type of wood is it?

I used .75 mdf and .220 acrylic for the windows. The footprint is 46.5x48x18".

1 Like

Can I have a look at your design and the dimensions for it?

Hello,

the design looks awesome, would you mind sharing plans?

This looks awesome. Can you share the plans?

Thanks!

Mark

1 Like

I would be very interested in plans for this as well if you have any. Thanks!

I just finished an enclosure that really helped reduce the noise and the dust from my X-carve. Here are some photos to give you an idea of whats possible. This is made from mostly materials I had leftover in the shop, so its not aluminum extrusion enclosure but it works. There are ideas in forum about enclosures, so just look around and you can always adapt it to meet your needs like I did.

A Dust Collection is a great choice, I also like to share how I adapted ideas I saw in this forum and others to convert the DC to a 2-stage and re-arrange its original profile to fit into a sound absorbing enclosure. I have a small garage and my wife parks her car inside, so the DC had to fit between both garage stalls. Here are a few photos.

IMG_5201IMG_5202IMG_5391IMG_5394IMG_5398
It went from 95 dbs (very loud) to about 75 dbs, now I can have the X-carve and the DC working in the garage without the need for hearing protection, actually I watch TV while they’re both running.
IMG_5283IMG_5286IMG_5292IMG_5332IMG_5307IMG_5320IMG_5311IMG_5313IMG_5360IMG_5366IMG_5378

7 Likes

I´m interested on replicating this, cause I had to move to another locatio where noise is a sensible matter, would You share your design? Thanx in advance

Sorry I didn’t sketch any drawings, I combined different ideas from forum and youtube I saw. If you follow same basic concept you can custom to your space and application. Good luck.

1 Like

Basic 16"on center studs, drywall, and rock wool. The end result looks very clean.

1 Like

While I think that most of the noise will be attenuated by the wood cabinet enclosure I will be building, I’m considering using acoustic ceiling tiles on the inside of the enclosure if I find the noise to be an issue. They are relatively thin and I think that the performance is pretty good when used in suspended ceilings. This possibility will be included in my design.

One thing I did not see mentioned here is the impact of large windows in the design. Unless they have two panes, they could transmit a significant portion of the noise from the router but I’m more concerned with the noise and performance of the dust collection system. Having a shopvac inside a cabinet will reduce the noise but the exhaust needs to be planned carefully to keep the noise inside and reduce the chance of overheating the shopvac motor.

Thank You!

Thanks, I believe is a good idea, I saw, that towels are a very good idea to isolate noise.

Miguel the final outside dimensions are 32"wide by 63" length and 96" height. I’ll attach some more photos to show constraints of keeping both garage bays open for future. Using 5/8 drywall is key in keeping noise down and I also hung some moving blankets to dampen the sound as well, saw some else use that trick.
I talked to Grizzly techs for advise on ventilation and heating parameters for DC motor, and with the photos I sent them they said this cabinet would be fine. I also have a internal temp gauge monitoring inside the cabinet. I have run DC for hours w/o any issues of overheating. Of course I have tested the air flow to ensure safety.IMG_5286IMG_5332

2 Likes