Spindle Doesn't Move When Carving

I have just bought a TTC-450 and trying to do my very first test. Initially I can jog the spindle location via Easel, set zero, and lift the spindle. When I select carve, the spindle remains stationary. I waited a number of minutes and nothing happens. After I cancel the job, I can no longer jog the spindle via Easel.

I’m running Windows 11, with the latest Easel Drivers.

All suggestion greatly appreciated.

@PaulConroy,
Did you run through the machine setup in Easel?

Have you checked Easel’s Machine Inspector to see if a limit switch is being activated? Assuming you have limit switches installed…

Machine>General Settings>Machine Inspector

You will see a green circle when a limit switch is activated.

Also, if you do have limit switches installed, are “Homing” and “Soft Limits” enabled?

Homing - $22 will be set to 1 if Homing is Enabled
Soft Limits - $20 will be set to 1 if Soft Limits are Enabled; Required Homing to be Enabled

You should be able to see your grbl settings in the Machine Inspector, but if you need to, you can type in “$$” to retrieve them.

To set a parameter, simply type in the parameter followed by “=” and the value to be set. For instance, if you wanted to enable Homing then you would type in “$22=1” and press enter.

This could also be a noise, EMI issue, causing voltage spikes on the limit switch cables. This can be caused by many things from poor filtering on the manufacturer’s control board to the limit switch cables being routed too close to higher voltage power cables.

{:0)

Brandon R. Parker

Hi Brandon

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have limit switches but none are activated. Yes, I set up a new machine.

I did run a test in Candle, and that also disconnects when the spindle starts up, so it would appear that it’s not an Easel issue. I’ve logged a call with Two Trees.

Regards

Paul

@PaulConroy,
If this occurs with different software, you either have a poor USB cable, it is routed near a power wire, or you have a control board that is sensitive to the EMI produced when the spindle starts.

Feel free to share images of your cable management and we can also help with some possible issues if we see them.

Brandon R. Parker

Thanks Brandon. It was routed near the power cable, which has now moved, so completely isolated. I’ve changed USB cable and it still happens. Guess it’s the control board, which doesn’t surprise me as there are a few issues from the factory with this machine.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Paul

Does the new USB cable have a ferrite choke? These can help…

Also, does the spindle cable have a shield/drain inside the outermost sheath? If it does, you can try connecting the shield/drain to the Ground at the power source.

Brandon R. Parker

Thanks Brandon. No to both, unfortunately.

Paul

A USB cable with a choke is a cheap starting point. You can also just purchase the choke and use the existing cable.

Brandon R. Parker

Thanks Brandon :slight_smile: