Spindle ramp-up speeds for 3018 20k spindle

I’ve upgraded to the 20K spindle for my 3018 and have the upgraded power supp;y as well.
I would still like to use the ramp-up spindle settings as I don’t like the jerk I get when the spindle starts (I’m running $30=16000).
Trouble is that even though SainSmart lists the code to use, they don’t tell me how to put it into grbl. Whenever I try, using Candle or UGS I get an error message.
Here’s the recommended code:
$30=S4000
M3
G4 P.25
S6000
M3
G4 P.25
S8000
M3
G4 P.25
S10000
M3
Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Please use small words as I’m just learning this stuff.
Thx,
Bill P

This is your max spindle rpm. It can’t have an S in it.

Every website shows the S.
And if I don’t put it in the speed setting in Grbl doesn’t change.
Or do you mean no S after the first $30?

should read $30=4000. No S
Pete

This ahould not include the $30 at all for the ramp up code.

Delete $30= and save it as a macro so you can get the spindle up yo speed before stsrting the file and it will ramp the spindle from stopped up to 10,000 rpm

As a seperate line of code you should set $30 to 20000 by sending this command in the console section:
$30=20000

This code needs sent only once thogh, not at the start of each carve… and this changes your spindle max rpm from 10,000 to 20,000 kinda…

Could some one point me to where I add the ramp up code for a 20,000 spindle. thx!

1 Like

Depending on what software you’re using its easiest to add a macro to do the ramp… or you could edit your post processor to include the ramp up automatically in the gcode file…
Neither of these options work if easel is both generating and sending the gcode.
In easel you’d have to copy and paste the ramp code lines into machine inspector manually every time…

From the Sainsmart 20krpm spindle listing:

if you ease the spindle into the maximum RPM, everything works without issue. How we suggest you do this is by replacing your spindle speed command with a few extra lines of code which brings your spindle up to full speed over the course of a second. In order for this code below to work, make sure to set $30=10000 in your console. This sets the maximum spindle speed in your firmware.

So S10000 M3 is replaced with:

S4000

M3

G4 P.25

S6000

M3

G4 P.25

S8000

M3

G4 P.25

S10000

M3

Darn… Unfortunately I have developed a process that uses Easel for generation and code. I suppose it may be best to buy an external power supply and just turn it on manually. Hope they consider adding a header to the Gcode that persists.

Thank you very much for the information Seth, you’re a CNC Rock Star!.

1 Like

Good News Update:
I installed the 20,000 rpm motor and luckily it appears my existing power supply can actually handle it!
I haven’t changed any settings for my machine so I don’t know what RPM I’m running but the power is what I was looking for and WOW do I have it now!

I am cutting some very specific items out of HDPE and I just verified the new motor allows 3 mil depth instead of 1 mil and feed rate of 1500 instead of 1000. My time per unit finally makes this venture doable.

102 minutes cut time down to just 39!
Jim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.