Spindle stopped working today mid-project

yep mine crapped out two days ago :frowning: i think iā€™m switching to the Dewalt 611

When and IF mine goes out I probably see if I can get a bosch colt mount in exchange. I like the relatively quiet operation of the 24v but a bit more snoose would be nice too.

I may consider other options, but I need to investigate them first.

But for the price point and getting started, the 24v was a decent choice.

I am currently using the 600 watt quiet cut spindle with a 110v power supply. It works great and is still quiet, but I regret not going with a router now. The RPMs still flag a bit when cutting aggressively. Plus, you need the spindle, a power supply and a speed controller. Whereas my Hitachi router is unstoppable, has a great speed controller built in (the good kind that maintains torque at lower rpms). But it is also very heavy and loud. Still it would have been cheaper and I am beginning to think more effective to have gone the router route at the outset. Just my two cents. My collection of power supplies and parts is growingā€¦

Should we do a ā€œFor Sale or Tradeā€ section of this forum? @Zach_Kaplan

1 Like

@Earwigger that is a great idea Iā€™ll set it up

1 Like

Ended up buying the 611 off Amazon, hoping to get the bracket / mount this week as I have some vacation time coming up this weekend. If the customer success team / Inventables doesnā€™t have the mount in stock by then, what have others been using for a 611 mount?

Whoops, I was going to link the old style mount that they carried:

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/bosch-colt-spindle-mount

but itā€™s OOS as well

Unfortunately I can add my spindle to the list of dead ones, was cutting a project this morning and noticed the spindle was sounding ā€œoffā€ not its usual tone but it did complete the cut. Something else I was noticing was the Z axis kept working its way down gradually by itself, which has never happened before, possible interference causing the stepper to jump? Second board loaded in the X-Carve and started the carve but spindle did not respond :fearful: a quick spin got it going but the rpms were way off so I called it quits.

A quick call to Inventables and a replacement should be here tomorrow :smile: while on the phone I inquired about the water cooled spindle they have been trying to source and was told it could be a couple more weeks before they make an announcementā€¦ Keeping my fingers crossed for that one!

Iā€™m guessing that Inventables is going to see a higher than expected demand for these 611 mounts.

I went ahead and ordered one of the VFD spindles. The combination 110V and 65mm seems to be hard to find. Do people typically run these from 220V outlets? (in the US)

@Zach_Kaplan,
Hereā€™s a possible update for the 24V spindle, after mine finally died after approx. sixty hours of use I wanted to see if there was a way to cool the motor better. The stock spindle motor has a built in fan but it was never designed to be housed in such close spaces as the spindle mount. I figured either machine some openings in the spindle mount (too much work to be feasible) or add a fan to the cap.

I searched through my collections of junk and found this 12V fan that just fit on top of the cover so I went at it with my dremel to open it up and mount the fan. I did not have a 12V power supply handy (fixing that tomorrow) so I set it up temporarily with a three cell LiPo battery from one of my R/C planes.

After running it for about twenty minutes just cutting shapes the motor was just warm to the touch, a longer cut job will tell for sure how well it will work.

Oh and thatā€™s also my supper simple dust extraction mount made from a piece of an old cutting board (never throw anything out that may someday be useful)

Also forgot to add that Inventables rocks! called yesterday about the dead spindle and a new one was here this morning! I have never had such great service from ANY other company! you have a customer for life!

1 Like

I wonder if there would be enough available current on the spindleā€™s power lead to run both the spindle an d the fan simultaneously? Then the fan would start and stop with the spindle.

Is that fan pushing air into the motor housing or pulling air out of the motor housing? It seems like if it is pushing air in then it would also push in dust and particles generated from carving.

Iā€™m fairly sure there is but you would need a 24V fan or some way to step it down. There are plenty of such devices in the R/C world but I could not find an available one in my stash at the moment

@JoshHansen,
It is pushing air in, I had considered pulling air out but that would draw more dust into the motor through the holes in the bottom of the spindle motor. With my vacuum running there is little chance of dust reaching the top of the spindle so blowing in was my best option.

I just surfed Amazon and found this 24V fan, Amazon.com

I just wanted to let @Zach_Kaplan know,
you have one hell of an awesome customer support team :smile:
Thank you for showing me that there are still some companies out there that actually care about their customers.

1 Like

Thanks! @DavidLair we appreciate the compliment.