Stacked Text Signs

I have read many, many threads and watched a few videos. Is this Carbide Create Tutorial - Stacked Text How To Design and Paint - YouTube possible within Easle? And by possible I mean the Boolean Union

Making a stacked text design in Easel is actually very, very easy. Here is an example.

Just note that you may have to adjust your design or use smaller bits to get to all areas of a design. You could also use a V-Bit if you so fancied it.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

@BrandonR_Parker yes I agree it is fairly easy to carve, the finishing is what I really want to get my head around. In the video he shows a way to carve in finish using two or three step carve and the boolean union, I see there is an app in Easel for the boolean but not sure if its the same.
I’ve seen @PhillipLunsford do his blessed family sign with paint markers and it turns out great. Just thinking more about doing it other ways too

Using the Oramask (or similar vinyl covering) method is relatively all the same.

1. Paint what is not going to be carved if it needs paint; let it dry
  2. Place mask over the piece
  3. Mill down to next layer to be painted and then paint it; let it dry
  4. Repeat 2 & 3 as necessary
  5. Remove mask

You do not really need the Boolean app to do what I did in the project above. All of the objects are just shapes placed over one another. The text objects were pushed through the Xploder app to get regular vector objects out; otherwise, they will not align properly with the alignment tools due to text objects having a container around them that messes up alignment.

Brandon Parker

@BrandonR_Parker Ok. The Xploder app helped a lot to keep things centered, I had not read about doing that before to get regular vector objects out.
So on step 3, The machine will not stop at that point I would have to watch it and pause the carve that next layer(“Text” in your sample above) while I paint and dry?

Nope. You would have to make different carves and air-carve for a while if you have several layers to do.

Another way would be to do Steps 1 & 2, and then mill all the way to the bottom but with the second layer slightly less deep than needs be. Paint the bottom coat, and then go back an mill the second layer down to the desired height. Then paint the second layer by hand.

It all involves breaking the design down and knowing how to carve exactly what you want when you want it carved and painted.

It can be time consuming and frustrating, but the best thing would be to find a method that works for you. Everyone has their own process, and something that I do may not work for you.

There are some tutorials on Youtube for it.

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

thanks,
will get to work to find out what works best for me. Thanks for the ideas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.