Stepper Power to Resolution Ratio

1 rev is 8mm of movement on my lead screws. Then 4K rpm would be 32k mm/pm aka 533.33 mm per second? :nauseated_face:
So that’s some useless data.
Check me. If I set to 8k mmpm, =1k rpm 1/4 of max speed for the leadscrews. @8k mmpm it would take around 8 seconds for the machine to travel across the 1000mm span.

#meetoo

What program do you use for wire diagrams? Would be useful for my job when I have to plan a wire route.

I assume you mean max rapid, as in 4000mm/min.
ACME T8 is 8mm/turn
4000mm/min / 8mm/rpm = 500rpm

1 Like

What is the Inventables default max rapids and acceleration?

8000mm/min & 500mm/s’2 for X/Y
But the resolution on stock Xcarve is less per step = faster travel for any given RPM.

If stock Xcarve turn X/Y motor one turn this equal a certain distance (I dont know, say it is 16mm)
Assume 200steps / turn (full step)

For your ACME conversion (8mm/turn) you get only half the distance for the same steps (but 2x resolution)

A stepper have a max RPM point, but the Arduino also have a max step/second rate which may in some cases appear sooner than the motor.

Another factor is whiping, turn the ACME fast enough and it will start to flex (whip) and this is more pronounced the longer they span.

I was informed that the whipping starts at around 4K rpm.

For what length?

1 Like

1000mm

Your critical speed is 750RPM (or 6000mm/min). 500RPM (or 4000mm/min) is a safe setting.

Here is the relevant post.

1 Like

Right. You were the one who mentioned that.

FEA?

I am willing to perform some tests once my new steppers and controller are in. Gimme some setting you want my to try and ill set up a test rig.

Don’t get carried away with speed, you can get high removal rates even with lower speeds (compared to belts). Just get the best acceleration out of it and be done.

With 1000mm long 8mm leadscrews I would stick with a safe 4000~4500mm/min for X & Y max speed ($110 and $111). Then experiment with X & Y acceleration ($120 and $121), see where it stalls, back off by a safe 20%.

No matter how big or small, light or heavy your machine is, I personally believe the goal is reliability and repeatability.

1 Like

Absolutely, carving aluminium with a 6mm end mill at 900mm/min with a depth per cut = 4mm and width per cut = 2,4mm is quite cool to watch :wink:

1 Like

Another question. :roll_eyes:
Is it ok to run the limit switch along the same cable (6wire) as the stepper?

How did you run the wires into the box?
I want to mount the box but be able to quick disconnect my machine.

So hardwired no quick disconnect.
What’s a good method for designing a cabinet for my vfd, power and controllers?

Sorry, I just had to correct the title. My bad.

1 Like

How did you do that?

There is a pencil icon at the end of the title if you are allowed to edit it. Since you are the original poster you should be able to edit it.

1 Like