Stepper Power to Resolution Ratio

How did YOU do it?

The forum software allows certain privileges to each user. I’m not sure what it’s based on, but I can change titles.

1 Like

Super Cool. Incoming PM

To be honest i didnt even notice the errer.

So A 48 v power supply would be better? Can i use two 24v and make it 48?

There are some power supplies that are designed to allow that. If the spec’s on the power supply don’t specifically say that you can, then you probably cannot.

1 Like

Gotcha. Will a 24v do for now? All my signal lights are 24v.
Also i have 110v .20ma lights. Can they be hardwired or will it blow out?

I would be inclined to keep the 24 volt supply you have now for the auxiliary functions and just buy a 48 volt supply dedicated to the stepper motors. Be sure that your stepper motor drivers can accept 48 volts.

1 Like

TB6600. Should go even higher.

Any idea?

Unless you are hooking up directly to the TB6600 chip, you need to know the voltage limit for the driver you are going to use. Just because the chip can handle it, doesn’t mean the remainder of the driver circuit will as well.

If it’s just a light (not something like a fluorescent that contains a ballast built in) you should be able to run it (AC or DC) at less voltage than is specified, they just won’t be as bright.

1 Like

I mean direct mainline power. Was going to connect it in parallel with my dust control and spindle to signal that they are powered on or off.

Online says 9~42v. And on most power supplies you can dial up or down the voltage with the onboard potentiometer. So i guess 48v dialed down a little (measured with meter) should do the trick.

If they are rated at 110 volts and your main power is 110/120 volts then you should be ok.

1 Like

What’s the ma rating?

That’s the current draw. 20 milli-amps.

1 Like

1 - Absolutely. I have one 48W 340W PSU on order.
2 - Depends as Larry mentioned.

That’s a little low wattage isn’t it? That gives you only 7A. Across 4 motors that is 1.75A per motor.

1 Like

Any good recommendations for psu? My steppers rate at 3amps

@LarryM I have another question. How do I get the 110v indicator light to light up when there is power allowed through the switch. Can’t be serial obviously. So parallel is a must but what the wiring?
This correct?

As long as the Indicator light is a 110 volt AC light then your wiring is correct for the switch to control both the VFD and the light. Make sure that the switch has a current rating that will handle both the light and the VFD.

1 Like