STL cut style settings explanation please

The Inventables video on 3D carving a topo map skips over the Cut style steps, it explains the full cut out with tabs, but does not say what “model boundary relief” or “rectangle relief” are.
Would someone please let us know what the differences are with the relief settings. To experiment with carves that take such a long time is a little bit costly.

Model Relief Boundary:
A Border that follows the outer contour of the model and allows a “padding” setting which is the boundary distance.

Rectangular Relief Boundary:
A Border that follows the RECANGULAR contour of the model and allows a “padding” setting which is the boundary distance.

You can use the simulation to experiment without performing the actual carve, by inspecting the toolpath generated it will make sense… just don’t use a rectangular design or else the Model Boundary and the Rectangle Relief will look identical. … . But if you have an irregular shape it will show the difference in these 2 settings more clearly…

@SethCNC Thank you Seth.
In my particular case I do not create a toolpath in Easel.
I export the gcode directly into my onefinity and it creates the toolpath there, but the image is too small to be clear.
Once again you have helped me a bunch thank you again.

From a Technical Standpoint. Easel creates the toolpath and saves the toolpaths in the form of Gcode. The OneFinity Controller (made by BuildBotics Or Massco for the new Elite) is Executing aka Sending the Gcode to the cnc machine.

So Technically the toolpath is created within Easel. And this occurs by clicking “generate toolpaths” at the lower right IF you want to see the preview that I mentioned before, this same toolpath generation also takes place when you save the gcode file btw…

Here’s an example of the Rectangular Relief setting with 1" padding for this model: I click “generate toolpath” at the lower right then I am able to see the preview of the lines the tool will follow (these are the same exact paths that are saved into the gcode file if I were to go to project>Download gcode) Then once it makes the paths I select “Show Preview” at the center bottom and then I used the timeline slider at the bottom to move the timeline to the beginning in order to see the carve without the lines in the way so now it shows the wood remaining after the carve:

And here’s the exact same model, same settings EXCEPT set to Model Relief Boundary:

notice the difference of the perimeter set in portion around the model…

Here’s an example of the Rectangular Relief style used in an actual carve:

And the Model Boundary style in an actual Carve (this one only has about a 1/2" padding distance):

So if I want to carve a 3D pattern into a cabinet door, where the door itself is already cut out, what should I select so it only carves into the door for the actual area of the STL model, and nothing else…no border or shape, etc.? The STL will be centered on the cut out door, and the top and bottom and sides of the 3D carve should all be left as is.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.