Surface finish issues in 3D carves

Love the carve! I have been playing around with soft woods because I don’t want to waste the good stuff on tests and learning projects.
But the hardwoods look and feel sooooo much nicer! :grinning:
I was looking at first small oak box I made and even with it’s flaws I really like the way the oak looks and feels.

It is hard for me to see in your pic, but it looks like you have a “pencil line” just inside the inner edge? Where VCarve makes the first cut of the finishing pass? Is that what you mean by scalloping?

I am having a similar issue but I managed to figure out what was causing it and a workaround for it.

When VCarve does its 3D finishing cut on a complex shape it starts the first cut just inside the outer edge. The problem is this cut is at full bit thickness. Then after it makes that initial cut it can take the rest of the cuts at the normal step over.
Because this first cut is so aggressive it is causing the depth to be a bit off. (flex and deflection?)
Worse it cuts the “channel” then cuts the inside are, then the outside area so you can get this weird seam where they all line up. (Which I call a “pencil line”)

I suspect that if we had the option to enable Ramping on the 3D finishing carve this would not be an issue. (I wonder if I contact Ventric if they would add that as an option sometime?) So I did some testing and it turns out that if you “simplify” the object (no holes), VCarve with start with a single plunge cut in the center of the carve and spiral out from there. No more “seams”. :grinning:

I used some of the 3D Tab clip art, scaled down very thin to “plug” the holes in the eyes and the mouth so the object was “sold” as far as the 3d carve was concerned. This changed the carve pattern and got rid of my “pencil line” seams.
I even modified the profile cuts so I can choose to cut out the mouth and eyes or leave them closed. :wink:

(Now that I think about it if I made the whole tiki sitting on a oval that would change the tool path of the 3d carve as well, which would impact the “ripple” issue as well.
I would have to run the numbers. Carving all that extra area might be no more of a time savings than just slowing down my feed rate. But it is a good trick to remember. It might come in handy for other projects.)