SVG files bringing extra data

YOOOOOOO. ok. I think im on to something here. here’s my issue with all this circle jive. I just want the area between the two lines carved out. in my editor (affinity) the black should be what gets cut out. in a line or ray…whatever, it is exactly like I want. once I close the circle, it creates two lines. this is my problem and this is what makes all my easel screenshots look like im making something with two lines

1 Like

Anyone have any new ideas about this situation?

In order to draw closed shapes you’ll need to do that offset, set inside to 0 depth and combine trick that I did… or figure out what’s up with affinity to make it save in a different method. The inside of the circle is showing as a filled shape, instead of a hollow, im not sure why or if there’s a way to fix it within affinity :man_shrugging:

thanks a ton. ill keep trying your trick and ill get affinity and ask them if there’s a reason this is happening. there could potentially be a lot of circles in a piece of work and it would be a pain to have to go after each one and fix it in easel

1 Like

ok, I think im close to a solution and the answer stinks. I downloaded adobe illustrator so as to compare file output and easel input. as you can see in the first video, it looks to be the same as far as exporting.

next I added the files into easel and as you can see the SVG produced by adobe illustrator works perfectly. the affinity svg on the other hand performs like a butt. so somewhere in the output Affinity is doing something different than AI and creating a file that doesn’t work

my intention hand been to be able to buy Affinity one time for 9.95 and have a vector creator on the iPad, now it appears I have to use AI which costs the same if not more per month. so sorry if my requests seemed strange at first, but I think Affinity is strange…not me. hahahaha happy thanksgiving everyone!

Downloaded trial.
Before I forget, I wanted to tell you what I did to make it work.
When you separate the curves, reverse the inner path. Then do the subtract.
I’m not sure if this is an Affinity Designer issue or an easel issue.
I can explain more if needed.

Im almost understanding all of this. the only issue is the reversal of the inner path. in which software do you reverse the inner path? affinity or easel?

ill check it out. thanks a ton. im not really versed in the “guts” of these programs and trying to mach up the two wasnt really a good adventure for someone like me with limited knowledge. i really appreciate the time and effort youve made. im going to give it a go now. thanks a ton. jonny

Donut
Convert to Curves
Separate Curves

Select Inner path & “Reverse”

Select Both and perform a Boolean “Subtract”
Export

how does that behave in easel?

The way you want it to.

So, after all this, I’m calling this a bug in the way Easel handles the SVG fill rule property.
@Ben-Saks

I think Easel should handle the donut without the workaround.

Thanks so much. this is exactly what I was trying to figure out! exactly this. you couldn’t be more right. from the beginning you had called out the Boolean nature of the problem. this fix creates a lot of potential for what I want to do with this software. I’m sure ill have another whacked out question within a week. I’m very grateful for your help. have a great holiday.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.