Terminology question

What is the proper term for these design elements that are commonly used on signs?

I have always called them design flourishes.

Full Definition of filigree
: ornamental work especially of fine wire of gold, silver, or copper applied chiefly to gold and silver surfaces
a : ornamental openwork of delicate or intricate design
b : a pattern or design resembling such openwork
c : ornamentation, embellishment <writings … heavy with late Victorian filigree — Jack Beatty>


Filigree! That’s the word I couldn’t think of. It was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn’t get it to come out.

Thanks @HalfNormal

1 Like

I’ve also heard it referred to as scrollwork.

In a printing terminology they’re known as fleurons, also dingbats and the more general ornaments.

I always called them ornamentals.

Florish is what I call them but that might be biased to the graphic design side rather than physical objects.

Thanks everyone!