Testing Homing Switches

I have completed the X Carve assembly. I am in the process of testing the motors and switches. The Z, X, and Y axis all move as they should. I started the homing switch testing. The Z axis step motor does not turn off when the limit switch is contacted. I checked the switch to make sure the actuator is contacted. I understood the program to indicate that I may have to change the switch settings. Does anyone know how to do this?

Some things to consider. Make sure that the switch is in a position where it can hit it and move back
enough to open. Make sure the switch lever is actually hitting the bumper washer too. Some folks have said theirs didn’t. I had to put in a larger washer to compensate on mine. You could also have a bad switch, so if you have a multimeter…you may want to check it. Here are all the grbl settings.

$22 is homing enabled/disabled.

How to change one is in the link below.

GRBL_Settings_Pocket_Guide_Rev_B.pdf (diymachining.com)

see the 3rd post here

Calibrating my X-carve 1000 - X-Carve - Inventables Community Forum

this is a common issue, the switch needs to be bent down a little… its not getting pressed ENOUGH… just barely but its enough to not trigger the actual switch… instead the Z hits the top of movement and is physically blocked.

Go Into machine inspector (Ctrl+Shift+D) and send the command $h to home and watch the lights… Z wont activate…
Send $X to clear the alarm once it fails the home… adjust the switch and repeat until it passes

Thank you. That was very helpful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.