[Testing hypothesis] Everything going great until it just stops

I don’t think you wired it backwards. $3=3 is normal if you followed the instructions.

In that case, I knew exactly what I was doing!

How’s the flower🌷?

The flower turned out great!
To be honest I am skeptical though, I will have to try a longer cut. I have had it freeze after 5 seconds and I’ve had it freeze after an hour.
I will try a longer cut and report back, I don’t want to keep you fine gentlemen up all night!

also, +1 to whoever you’ve got on your team drawing these cute little flowers! I quite like it

Hahahaha!

@LarryM thanks for helping out. I hooked you up with early access to gcode import in Easel just now.

Yes thank you both of you!

@LarryM and @Zach_Kaplan it is SO much appreciated

Keep running it like that and report back.

Thanks, Zach.

[Edit] I do think we need to change $2.

Also, while we’re in there $110,111 are low and $120,121 are high.

Candace, if you want some help with testing the switches we can do that when you are ready.

1 Like

I don’t know what I’ve done!? I got through every cut I tried today with no freezing except now my straight lines and circles are all wobbly :frowning:
Here’s my sad bicycle… I checked belt tension and eccentric nuts

oh no! that is a very sad bicycle :frowning:
Highly reminiscent of a problem I saw with those ‘lobes’ on circles a while back where the pulleys were not properly mounted onto the motor shafts.

What happens is, if you do not tighten you pulley screws so that they are perfectly perpendicular with the flat surface of your motor shafts eventually they will come loose and allow some ‘play’, and the motor shaft will be able to rotate back and forth without actually turning the pulleys.

The end result is that when the motor changes direction there is a gap between when the set-screw is on the flat surface of the shaft, turning the pulley with it in one direction, and when it comes back into contact with it at some point in the motor’s rotation reversal. This causes a ‘stall’ every time it changes direction, and looks equally dismal as your bicycle.

Examine your pulleys very closely! Make sure that the set-screws which hold the pulley onto the shaft are as perpendicular to the flat side of the motor shaft as possible, and not loose at all. This really looks like a bad case of loose set screws on those pulleys, big time. Some recommend using some of that blue locktite stuff on them to make sure they don’t move, but if they aren’t screwed perfectly straight into the flat surface of the shaft then it won’t matter how much locktite you use on them, because the motor will still be able to change directions without actually moving the pulley for an amount of its rotation.

Good luck, and keep us apprised!

That is one thing we did not check!
In fact it took me a minute to realize what the heck you were talking about, those little super tiny screws!

1 Like

Yes, the super little tiny guys!

AH! one was loose!

Will retry the bicycle shortly

1 Like

Good stuff! Show us a happy bicycle this time!

It’s much better, but the wheels look a little off, without actually measuring them. Will try again in the morning :slight_smile:

It looks symmetrically better, but now it looks wider/thicker along the lines, almost as if there were two passes and the 2nd one got shifted somehow via loss of steps. At this point somebody else will have to pitch in some ideas because it’s a little vague for me, other than a dull bit and too fast of a feed rate, being that it looks like you’re cutting some particularly hard wood there. We’ll get you going soon enough! :wink:

Definitely losing steps, but you are getting closer.

V-wheels, pulleys, e nuts and pots. repeat repeat.

Looks like you are getting close.

Oh my god guys I think we did it!

Thank you!!

3 Likes

Wow. If this was for Christmas in just under the wire. :smile:

Let me know if you want help getting your homing switches working.

1 Like