Thinking about building an enclosure and enhanced dust control

Hi, I’ve seen a number of interesting designs online for an enclosure, but I’m also pondering the question of dust control.

My x-carve is hooked up to a 1200cfm (not really but that’s what they state) shop Fox dust extractor. 6in > 4 in > 1 1/2in for the dust boot.

the question is, should I split the Dust extractor feed, and put a extraction vent in the back of my enclosure (say 4" or 2 12/"? Will this help extract floating dust particles (assuming I have enough draft for air movement), or am I just going to cripple the dust boot. Has anyone seen plans / ideas / actual build where this has worked well?

Thanks

With a high volume dust collection, you’re already crippling it by using a 6" to 1.5" reduction

The design is for a cross sectional area of 28.27square inches
But by reducing it to 1.5" your cross sectional area is 1.77square inches

This reduces the flow by forcing the blower which is intended to pull volumes of air, into a vaccume which is not the intention of the design of a blower like that. You’re much better off to get or fabricate a dust shoe that has much less of a reduction and you’ll get more flow out of the dust collection and thus more dust extracted at the point of creation.

IF you do add a port in the rear of the enclosure, that will only help the debris that’s airborne, which most of which will land within the enclosure before being sucked into the port anyway…
IF you do add the port, I suggest also getting a 4" ducted dust shoe… This will result in a 12.57square inches. using 4" at both the dust shoe and the rear of the cabinet will result in a total of 25.4 square inches of area to allow nearly the intended flow rate of the dust collector. . .

1 Like

H Seth, I fully agree with you re turning the Dust extractor into a Vacuum - my starting point was working with what I had! I’m now looking to see if I can find an existing design using a 4" dust shoe based on the existing dust boot template.

Thanks

1 Like

You don’t happen to know whether schematics are available for the original dust Perspex boot platform? I’ve been looking for these to modify for a 4" dust shoe - and I can’t find anything online.

I also haven’t been able to find other 4" show pattens (or complete units to buy) that are compatible with the existing dust mounts. Have you come across anything worthwhile?

Thanks

1 Like

I dont know of those patterns. I actually made my own 4" boot…

1 Like

Actually I’ve just found the open source patterns here

The Shoe itself is 432-00008.pdf

Here’s the prototype I’ve made for the dust collector… I’ll have to experiment with the brush as I think it’s probably too long…

1 Like

Nice, I did something similar at first.
THEN for v2, I cut it in half and made the front attach with magnets that way I could more easily access the collet for bit swaps…

1 Like

@SethCNC on my way to building the enclosure. Have just completed the torsion box table and stand - all custom built (complete with horrible welds) by me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.