Thoughts on Stiffening mod

Thanks. I have a store near me.

Iā€™m also glad that I bought a couple of good metal cutting bits for the job instead of using my wood/metal combo ones. They would have taken forever to drill through the steel.

1 Like

In case anyone is interested in getting a closer match to the proper thickness for the flat bar stiffening mod (I couldnā€™t find this as a t-bar):

These guys have very decent prices on 4mm * (5-50)mm * 6 foot aluminum flat bars. I bought one for $25 (including shipping). Being slightly smaller than the ~4.1mm optimal spacing means itā€™s easy to add something to shore up the difference.

If anyone finds metric aluminum t-bars in The States, 4mm thick, with short wings (so we donā€™t need to trim) please let me know.

Has anybody thought of inserting a stel rod into the makerslide cavity and filling it with something like epoxy or polycarbonate resin (cast ). IMHO i think it show make it far more rigid

Grab the thickest steel rod youā€™re able to fit, then see how much it will resist bending over such a span.

It would help more if it projected through the plates, was threaded, and allowed one to put washers and nuts at opposing ends.

1 Like

Do you think casting resin in the cavity would make a difference?

Check out Marius Hornbergerā€™s video on his stiffening mod

X-Carve Upgrade: Stiffening X and Y Axis

2 Likes

Can someone explain the washer mod more clearly. Which washers are you replacing and what replacements are now considered the best.

Those would be the washers required for spacing the v-wheels correctly? I just used the proper sized stock between the x-axis maker slides and didnā€™t need to change the v-wheel spacing.

Oh, I see. I will have to check the actual thickness of the piece I put in then. Thanks.

So you are switching out the washers if you used 3/16" metal between the rails?

No. I didnā€™t change anything. The steel fit perfectly, the wheels are seated perfectly, and the machine works perfectly. I have no idea why. Your results may vary. Besides, you would probably have to grind something down to get a .0025 washer. Although, notebook paper is .003" so you could use a hole punch and make some paper washers. That seems a little ā€œtin hat,ā€ to me given that we are not at JPL sending people to Mars.

I must of misunderstood the earlier posts that refer to using washers. Mine seems fine with the steel I used so I guess Iā€™m as good as I can get for now. Thanks.

Maybe folks were commenting on the spacers between the bearings in the v-wheels. For a while, they were too thick or thin and we could grab our z axes and make them click back and forth. If you search for fiber washers, you can probably find that thread.

I didnā€™t take it apart either, used aluminum spacers and drilled in place. Your jig idea is great. I got lucky and my freestyle drilling worked.

1 Like

I have the aluminum T for this mod and Iā€™m getting ready to install it. Did you need to add spacing washers to the gantry to accommodate the slightly wider profile?

no spacers were used on mine

1 Like

Could you please send the vector file and dimensions? Thanks

Could you please send the vector file and dimensions? Thanks

I sorry not make clear (I dont know well the forum tool, and did not know that the question would be at the end). The file is of parts designed for 3D printer. PM sent to the authors. Thanks.