Tiling alignment with jig set up

I’m confused why the tiling feature is misbehaving? I’m utilizing the tiling feature for an SVG file I created.
I literally created a material piece and jig that’s perfectly square, flat, level and aligned with the waste board (which is square to my gantry). I cut the first tile. Everything turns out great! I perfectly align my second tile (ie20"). I’m not touching the gantry or bit/router after first roughing tile. Utilizing “last position” Moving to next roughing tile it cuts 1/8" off either +/- in y axis. The bit had never moved after first cut. Making sure I’m not going too fast, bit it’s in literally the exact same spot I initially started.
Nothing has changed except moving the line down 20" HELP! This is a test piece for a paid customer and I’m lost. Why is this happening

If it is off in the Y-Axis (and nothing is wrong with Easel…) then you are just moving it too far most likely…

To me, it looks like the offset is on the X-Axis (left to right when in front of the X-Carve) based on your images.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

you absolutely correct, X axis. typo.

check this out

How to Carve a 72" Long Project on a 30" CNC - YouTube

1 Like

of course i love paw paw videos. looking for a bit more of an accurate carve. needless to say im fairly particular. im using designs that are easily construed or misaligned (1/16-1/18) mis alignment when keeping work material at eact locations. same bit , same poi, same depth. always(3 tries) 1/8" misaligned. crazy

How sure if this are you?
Can you you measure from the edge of your stock to a straight part of your design at the front an rear of the carve?

1 Like

As Neil is getting at here… unless you milled the face of your alignment block using the cnc itself… then it’s “Close to Square” at best… “eyeballed within a few degrees” would be more likely…

The take away from what I’m trying to say is that I would mill the face of your alignment block using the cnc itself… I also use the cnc to mark the “tile movement” amount

1 Like

Does the design come out straight up shifted from one segment to the next (left side) or does it come out skewed (right side) in some fashion … not necessarily exactly like the image…?

Or, does it maybe looked stretched from one side of the X-Axis to the next?

Can you measure from the edge of your stock to a parallel portion of the carve at what would be the top and bottom of one segment and see if you get the same measurement?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

after numerous tests, I was in fact not perfectly square. I literally took my entire table apart re leveled by quadrant. had to shims a few areas to achieve bubble. I then sanded the entire wasteboard free of any oem markings. I ran a 1/16" upcut bit at 0.04 with an easel created square outline. Marked my Safe zone for the work area and carved the perimeter. 1/8" off from point to end. i ran this design several times to record paths, depth; adjusted one quadrant and rand it again. I now have a perfectly square (to my gantry) waste board with my safe zone carved out. After running multiple tests, I fastened pwnCNC guide rails to my optimal location for achieved square on my existing waste board. With all that said, my process has certainly changed. I definitely feel more comfortable that the gantry vs waste board are square, level and flat. I appreciate your candor. I simply needed to check the fundamentals!! feeling confident i can tile accurately is quite literally saving $$$.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.