Here is my Easel-take on such a project:
- Create overall design
- Duplicate this design twice, so you have two work projects
- For the first project design cover half of it with a zero depth rectangle (carving will omit this area)
- Set work zero to lower left corner of material, assuming a 1200x300mm work piece. (arbitrary size for this example)
- Carve first half
- Then mark and shift the material 600mm to the left, and carve 2nd project design. The design is in Easel shifted the same amount to the left and the other half of the object is covered by the zero-depth rectangle.
- Carve 2nd half and you are done.
Another example, three segments:
The longest work piece I have made was done in 6 segments to complete a whole, piece being about 2050mm long. It was also a two stage carve, using straight bit for openings and ball bit for surface contouring. Here I used dowels as my tiling reference.