Tool box design

To cut this you will need a piece of plywood that is exactly 1/2" thick
The sheet size will need to be at least 48" wide and 42" tall.

7 Likes

Nice! Very close to mine. This is more my style:

7 Likes

Beautiful. How do you get the contrasting wedges in the side panels and bottom done. Do you cut slots on the X-Carve for the wedge or do you cut them after (traditionally)

The wedge slots are started with a small diameter drill bit by hand to avoid splitting, then cut with a japanese pull saw.

1 Like

Very nice work. I like that a lot. Those joints look really good. Iā€™ve been busily perfecting my dovetail joints for workshop boxes, but I may try one of yours sometime soon.
The more ā€˜traditionalā€™ wood joints I learn, the greater respect I have for the old time tradesmen.

Thanks! Itā€™s a good blend of old & new tech. I build high end decks, so when homeowners see me show up to the job site carrying this, they know theyā€™re in good handsā€¦:sunglasses:

1 Like

Samurai Carpenter, is that you?

@B.F Thatā€™s a neat design, Iā€™m impressed. What did you do the design in? Iā€™ve not tried this style of construction as yet, though I can see something based on this soon on the horizon. Do you ā€˜squareā€™ the holes to suit the tenons or do you round the corners off the tenons to fit the holes? If youā€™ve tried both, which looks better

@MidnightMaker are the sides dowelled onto the base or are they just glued?

Ha! Good eye. No. Jesse is a friend of mine. I made him his first SC t-shirt and gave it to him the last time we went out to visit on Vashon Island to see the new bunkhouse. I ganked a pic of his toolbox because mine is down in the truck. I highly recommend buying his plans, hence not a shared Project. I rarely get to make something just for myself.

1 Like

Using a very close approximation to traditional Japanese joinery, everything sits in its own dado, with the through tenons wedged. Hereā€™s a peek. NOTE: This is all Samurai Carpenterā€™s work, not mine.

Dudeā€¦Plans!! :smiley:

My buddyā€™s plans. $8 well spent.

Edit:

http://samuraicarpenter.com/limited-time-offer-craftsman-toolbox

Oops! I was obviously trying to point people in the direction of buying his plans. If you downloaded them, please purchase them through this link. Sorry Jesse! :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on a Greene & Greene six-pack holder though which I will be able to shareā€¦ :sunglasses:
I was hoping Zach would do another DiResta ā€œInventables Incentivizerā€ gift card giveaway.

2 Likes

The correct link is:

http://samuraicarpenter.com/limited-time-offer-craftsman-toolbox

The link you shared points to the download, avoiding the need to buy!

1 Like

As all my woodwork is done inside, I donā€™t really need to carry tools. I did however make a grossly overbuilt box to store my router bits in. I may not have many, but they are kept in a solid box.

4 Likes

Apologies @B.F we seem to have hijacked your thread.

4 Likes

Ha ha, too true.