Tool Change

Is it possible to get the Xcarve to do a manual tool change? I can’t seem to be able to generate a tool change within the CAM software as the G code format for Universal Gcode Sender doesn’t support multiple tools. I’m currently playing with aspire on their free trial. Also Universal g code senders’ reset zero just comes up with an error with the latest grbl firmware so there would be no way to reset the zero after a tool change, unless I manually typed in the g-code.

I’m interested here too, I have a number of ideas that will require multiple tools… MeshCAM sends an M6 for tool-change.

Typically most people generate separate files for each tool. All CAM software I have used allows you to do that.

Grbl does not allow you to save tools offsets (the length of the tool), so you need to re-zero the Z after each tool change anyway.

Ok, so with GRBL it’s more or less just handled as several separate machining operations with a common X-Y zero, then. Sounds easy enough to me, thanks Bart! :smile:

Different files makes a lot of sense. The issue I may encounter is, with some programs you can do a roughing pass and then the finishing path will clear up what the roughing pass has missed. If I had a separate file for roughing and finishing, the finishing path would see that the model has had no previous roughing pass and would attempt to cut the entire model, even though most had been removed via roughing,

In MeshCAM, anyway, I can save the different parts of the program separately. At the “save toolpaths” portion, where I post the toolpaths, I can select the roughing toolpath and each of the different finishing toolpaths separately. I’ll probably just save then into a folder titled with the part name, numbered sequentially. “Rough”, “Finish 1”, “Finish 2”, etc.

I never thought of that! thanks! I think aspire as the same feature

I believe they are working on adding the two stage cut/tool change feature to Easel:

Continuing the discussion from Two stage cuts?:

1 Like

I saw that in Easel, that’s going to be REALLY nice for getting corners and stuff! In my case, though, most of my work will be from solid models and external G-code. Which, unfortunately, tend to be nowhere NEAR as awesomely easy to use. Specifically, most of mine will end up being, say, roughing the shape with a quarter-inch square end mill, then coming back with an eighth-inch ball-nose for profile finishing, then a .020 drill or so to put in a couple holes.

Hi William I would like to get access to this feature.