Touch Plate not working

What a serious touch plate. Like a landing platform on aircraft carrier :slight_smile:

Itā€™s not moving at all @AlanDavis. Itā€™s not even trying to.

@SungeunJeon I have no idea how to ā€œinvert the probe pinā€ nor how to check the wire for noise

lol it was some scrap from a local machine shop. I wasnā€™t going to be picky :slight_smile: Iā€™ll cut it down eventually

1 Like

Make sure you are really using Pin 5. It starts at Pin 0, so you are really connecting to the 6th and last pin.

1 Like

You might get Magnetic interference, it is kind of unusual size.

I would highly recommend testing without the clips connected to your machine/plate, just hold them apart in your hand (by the insulation, nothing should be touching the clips), start the probe, and touch them together. It removes another variable from the experiment.

2 Likes

@BillJutz I have ensure that I am in the last pin. I took a single header, soldered a wire on it and stuck it in. It isnā€™t touching anything that would create a ground.

@AlanDavis trueā€¦ I tested the volts going across the plane and resistance, it was like .001 more than just the wires

@pjtx I have tried holding them apart. I have also tried unplugging the connector underneath my power box and there is no difference

@SungeunJeon I found the command to invert the pin ($6=1). That got rid of the fail, but It wonā€™t stop moving when there is contact (tried with both the plate/bit and just the clips in my hand). Could that mean that there is too much noise? How best to test that? *editā€¦ the motor works fineā€¦ I slipped back into metric mode and .5 mm is REALLY small)

can use wire it up bypassing the plug?

@BadWolf Not easily, but Iā€™ll give it a shot :smile:

ok I cut the wire to the plug, leaving me about 10" of wire. Striped the ends off and tried it several times. Still didnā€™t work. I moved everything else away from the wire the best I could to try to eliminate any noise and it still didnā€™t helpā€¦ Iā€™m going to just take everything apart and try againā€¦ Not ideal, but itā€™s worth a go I suppose.

The fact that it moves when you invert the pin seems to indicate that you have a short in your wiring. Inverting the pin means it will move when thereā€™s a connection, and stop when the connection is broken. In that case, the expected result would be that you would need your clips touching for the probe command to start, and it would stop probing when you moved the clips apart.

This would also explain why it immediately stops when you probe with the pin not inverted, as itā€™s detecting that there is a connection between the pins before it probes and throws an alarm (which is the first condition SungeunJeon mentions).

I have never gotten mine to work in UGS (to be honest, I didnā€™t try that hard) but in Chilipeppr it works fine, I add the thickness of the probe in the Probe widget and move the tip of the bit near the probe and hit go.

Ok, so I reset the probe pin inversion ($6=0), removed the wire from A5 and tried it, but still got the probe fail. I figured that would work, but not ever stop since it will never ground, but it didnā€™t. Unless I am missing something, that would take the interference out of the equation. Iā€™m going to hook it all back up and give chilipeppr a shot, but I havenā€™t had any luck getting it to detect my machine (granted I didnā€™t read any directions and only tried for about 15 minutes)

Can you please take a picture from the top of your electronics (Without the fan). and also another screenshot where are you inputting these commands.

Maybe a short from when you soldered in the pin strip?

@AlanDavis

Youā€™re not connected to Ground on Arduino. You see those two ground just before 5V

And while Iā€™m at itā€¦ Thanks everyone for your help with this. Inventables ā€œcustomer successā€ is top notch, but the help from the forums really make this product/community shine!

@AlanDavis awww hell :confounded: . I thought any ground would work. I just went to the ground on the power supply. I feel silly now. Let me give it a shot

I have mine connected to a common ground and it works. The fact that it doesnā€™t work with anything connected to the A5 pin is troubling, I canā€™t think of why that would be.