Trouble with tb6600 only 3 of 4 motors will move

Hallo together,
It has been a long time not working on my x carve.
I‘m currently finishing all the upgrades to my x carve and therefore I also made my own controller with a custom grbl breakout board. I installed 4 tb6600 driver but I’ve got now some strange behavior. In early wiring tests I could confirm that every component is working but now that I’ve installed everything and put into the box and in the enclosure only 3 of the four motors will work on the same time. It began that one of the y motors didn’t want to move so I swapped out a bunch of cables and tried different connection possibilities but I just got one y motor and x and z to work. Then the other day I wonted to takle this problem the x motor did not move, but therefore both y motors moved. Then I tried to reconnect the connectors on the driver a couple of times the x Motorrad started to move but then one of the y motors stopped working. On each command all blue lights at blinking on the driver and I also tried a replacement driver, so I’m pretty sure it does not occurred because of an broken driver. My current guess is that the old stock power supplie is not giving enough juice so I order a more powerful one.
Does anybody would have any other idea what the problem could be?
Kind regards
Foxx

1 Like

Does each axis work individually?
It’s this just a problem with simultaneous motion on the axes?

1 Like

Theoretically each axis is working so there is no connection error. This problem is present as soon as the machine has power. So my tests eher only moving one axis at a time.

1 Like

So, moving one axis at a time works?
Is there one driver that doesn’t work?

What motors are you using?
What is the PSU current rating?

1. it doesn’t matter if 1 move a single axis or more at the same time one motor won’t move. Sometimes it is one of the y motors or it is the x motor that is not working. Which one is not working Sean’s random upon power up. When I reconnect the one driver that is not working a couple of times it makes it work but then one of the other driver is not working any more ( so I only get 3 to work at the same time/power on)
  2. all drivers ar working I also tried a 5th one and got the same results.
  3. NEMA 23 Schrittmotor 57BYGH627, 76 mm, 190 Ncm Kräftige NEMA 23 Schrittmotoren. | myhobby-CNC
  4. im currently not in my shop so a cannot look it up but it is the original psu that came with the 2015 x carve arduino/grbl board version
1 Like

I dont recall its specs but it may be a little on the “light side”, also 24V IIRC?
I´d get a 36V 480W PSU for 4x Nema23/2Nm if using the TB6600

(I use 48V 400W PSU with 4x Nema23 2Nm with Leadshine DM556/856 drivers)

2 Likes

I agree with @HaldorLonningdal. Next thing to try would be a better PSU. Your motors are 3A, so look for a 36V power supply with a current rating of 15A or greater.

1 Like

Yeah that was what I was thinking too and I already ordered a 24v 25a psu to see if it makes a difference. But you might be right to switch to a 36v psu to give the motors even more power. I was thinking about the 24v psu because I could use it to power other stuff in my Controller as well but now I realized that only the drivers are connected to the psu besides a step down Converter for some fans.
I will try this and come back if it helped or not. Thanks in advance @NeilFerreri1 and @HaldorLonningdal

2 Likes

Looks like the 36v psi is working.
Do you have any suggestions for the dipswitch settings with a 36v 16.7A psu?

Do you mean for the TB6600´s?
Your stepper specs says 3A max so I´d set it to 2.7A peak current. If the stepper casing get hotter than 175degF then I´d reduce it one step further.

1 Like

Well seemed a bit to quick with my response :sweat_smile: after 20 min an air carve stopped with the machine idleing and easel not stating any massage or sign that the carb will continue. Only after canceling the carve the machine startet moving again to the start position. I think this is because of overheating of two of the driver boards as one y and one x where quite warm( but still touchable) the other y and z where „cool“ in comparison. This is because I haven’t installed the fans again as I need a new step down Converter that is rated for the new 36v psu. My drivers were configurated to the 2.7A if the fans don’t prevent the overheating I will set them to a lower setting.

Oh well turned out it was just my laptop going to sleep that caused the stop of the carve :man_facepalming:

2 Likes