Tutorial for Setting up 6 toolpaths in Easel Pro?

I bought a cigar and ashtray holder on etsy and it has 6 toolpaths to set up. I’m new to Easel Pro and my XCarve and am hoping to find some sort of good tutorial or other resource to help me figure out how to do this carve with easel pro and my xcarve. perhaps a PDF set of instructions? A youtube video (I searched with no luck)?

Tks - Brian

1 Like

Hey Brian,
I’m interested in this and creating some video tutorial content on the topic. Did you have a specific cigar holder / ashtray look in mind? (whether it be the photo from the actual listing or off the web, that’s fine, but if you can post a photo, I can show how to replicate something very similar using only Easel)

Hi Seth. Wow that would be awesome. The etsy files I bought include a PDF of instructions for “other” software programs but not easel…but he says it will work if we follow the instructions. Would you like to access everything (the files, the instructions, the bits needed with links, etc. I can get you the files or access to download.

Brian

1 Like

Hi Seth. Just following up on this. Let me know how else I can help with a tutorial on how to do this project ?

Tks - Brian

What bit are you using for the cigar holding part? This looks fairly simple, and I don’t know if it’s best practice to make a tutorial showing how to create someone else’s design.

2 Likes

Using a 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch Bowl and Tray bit per file seller recommendation. I don’t think he’d have any issue if someone made a tutorial as long as there were a link to his file/s to buy. Point well taken though.

Brian

1 Like

How wide is the cigar slot?
I’d just use a core box bit, and draw a couple of lines.
Using a 1/4" bit, you’d be best with an STL file.

1 Like

There are a lot of bowl shapes to the project and I already bought the bit he used/recommended so I want to figure out why I can’t see it when I create it. I’ll try calling tech support tomorrow. Love that they are open Sundays !

Brian

1 Like

How are you coming along with this project?

Bowl (or since easel doesn’t accept bowl bits, you likely selected “Ball bit” type) bits can only be selected for 3d relief carvings as the finishing bit after importing a STL file.

if you want to use the bit in the 2.5D workspace you will need to enter it as a Endmill and sort of trick Easel…

Brian: you have just experienced why you will go with another CAD program in the future. The lack of being able to set up various tool paths easily is one of the failings of Easel. When Seth has issues with it, that pretty well shows the lack of badly needed feature sets in Easel. I use Easel but for this project, Vectric would be my choice.

In order to work around this, I have some projects that have 5-10 individual project sheets, each with its own tool path. For example say I have a dish project in Easel that I want to carve an image into and then carve text and finally cut it out using an end mill around the perimeter. For each of those activities, I will use a different bit, in this example and I will copy the project 3 times and on each project page, I will either remove whatever is not going to be carved with say a 1/16" EM, a 90 degree V Bit and a 1/4" upcut end mill or I will set the cut depth to those items to Zero. There will be 3 bit changes. Now, while another CAD/CAM program will require the same 3 bit changes, what isn’t necessary is removing or setting a zero cut depth on areas that I don’t want cut by the bit I am using at the moment. Each item(vector) has its own specific tool path and I can see the entire job on the screen but the tool paths saved carve only those vectors associated with that tool. Also, unlike Easel, you don’t have to design specifically for a particular End Mill or V Bit or whatever. You design and then assign tool paths to the selected vectors. You don’t pay extra to use a V Bit; it’s a function of the software and is always available. Watch some Vectric tutorials on YouTube and you will see what I mean.

Easel is a great introduction to CAD/CAM design and project completion but is falls far far short of being a robust tool. You will find that you will soon outgrow it.

Best of luck. I know Seth will come up with the elegant solution.

Dave

3 Likes

Hi David. Thanks so much for your insights and thorough comments. I will message you directly on this. Tks

Seth, Brian: I am attaching the “product view” of a quick and dirty Easel design of the item Brian is interested in. It’s a pretty ham fisted approach but it seems to be close to what is desired. For the simulation carve I used a 1/2" straight bit for everything. If I carved this for true finish, I would use a 1/4" up cut EM and then fool Easel on the Cigar channel by using a 3/4" core box bit ( if you have one with a 1/4" shank) to cut the channel. There are definitely some questions and issues around this but this was a quickie ‘can it be done’ model.

regards,
Dave

2 Likes

Dave, thanks a million for your advice and the image. It’s close looking indeed ! I sent you a direct forum message in followup.

Tks - Brian

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.