Two stage cuts

@KennethConnell, @Antonio1: You guys have access.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let the folks testing this feature know that we found and corrected an issue with the cut settings that were being used on the detail pass. If you were using the recommended cut settings, the app was incorrectly using the settings for the roughing bit on the detail pass. This has been fixed.

3 Likes

I would like test the feature.

Thanks,

Micah

@MicahNewsome: You have access.

well i’ve used the 2 stage cutting and works fine me. so thanks for that

I would like to try this feature out.
Thanks!

@HarrisonHuggler, you have access.

Invetables,

I have been using this feature for some time now with great results. As I learn what my machine can do and gain more confidence running jobs I have come across an issue. Unless I am missing something, Easel uses the same cut settings for both the roughing and detail bits, no matter the size of the bit. For example, I just completed a project using an 1/8th in roughing bit and a 1 mm detail bit. My machine, outfitted with a Dewalt 611 spindle, can easily handle an 1/8 in depth of cut (with an 1/8in bit) in most woods and like material, but that DOC would break my 1mm bit, which means I have to default to the settings for the smaller bit. To get around this I ended up exporting the roughing Gcode with cut settings for the 1/8in bit (30 in/min at 0.125" DOC), then changing the cut settings for the 1mm bit (30 in/min at .039" DOC) and exporting the detail Gcode. (I exported the Gcode to use UGS with the touch plate I just made and hooked up to my machine. I have not learned how to use a touch plate in Easel yet.) Using cut setting for each bit independently saved a lot of time. So my real question is, can Easel be set up to have two different cut settings, one for each bit, when using the two stage cut feature?

2 Likes

I would like to have access to this feature

yes please i’d love this too

i would love to be one of the early access users. My business partners and I have been talking about a feature like this since we purchased the machine 2 months ago… Just let me know what we need to do Thank you.

Hi Iain,

Yes, we are going to work on adding a second set of “custom” cut settings when you are using the roughing and detail feature.

Note that we fixed a bug about 5 days ago and Easel should use the correct settings for the detail bit if you have Easel configured to use the “recommended” cut settings (see my post above).

Jeff

1 Like

@BrandonKenney, you now have access.

Thanks,
David

@Peter3,

You now have access.

Thanks,
David

@JamesPizzuto,

You now have access.

Thanks,
David

Is there a way to set separate “Depths per pass” and “Feed rates” for each bit? I can just much deeper/faster with a larger bit than with a smaller one.

I’m sorry if this has been asked/answered already, I did look.

Hi @NAM37,

Currently, if you are using custom cut settings, you’ll need to change the settings between passes.
If you are using recommended settings, Easel will use the appropriate settings for each bit.

We are working to add a second set of custom settings so that you can specify your custom settings for each bit independently.

Thanks,
David

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

sorry,
I wonder if I’m wrong, or works differently from how I think.
If I post a picture where there are processes that need to be done with a bit and the other with a different bit, how do I assign each line one spcifico bit?
you can, or before doing any work with one and then the other?
thank you

Can I get access? Have a few carves that are 30 inch and cannot want to cut it all with a 1/8th bit