Two stage cuts

@Zach_Kaplan, @JeffTalbot, @Ruwan Thanks all for working with me through the issues and utilizing the feedback so quickly. Based on the pictures from the updates it looks like it will work WAY better. I liked that you used my project too so I really know it will work for me… If only I had waited one more day to rerun my job, instead I ran the whole thing yesterday with the smaller bit. I didn’t expect you guys to have a solution so quickly. Just proves to me even more how your great service is.

1 Like

In case y’all didn’t click into the blog post, here is the updated before / after screenshots:

Before:

After:

2 Likes

Thank you for the access @Zach_Kaplan This is why I purchased the X carve. Great service!

Love it!

Looking forward to testing it out.

Hi @DanBrown, you have access!

Huzzah! Thanks, Jeff. :slight_smile:

Planning on trying this for the first time today, and I just realized that the Arduino runs from USB power. I should be able to kill the motor power supply, and if I don’t move any axes, the zero should hold. Is this correct?

If so, I think I’ll look at adding some “brakes” (thumb screws?) to each axis to lock them in place during tool changes. I’m just afraid that my li’l XY steppers would be easily moved, even when powered up.

I just exported the roughing, and detail G-code for the project (to import in Chilipeppr to get a ballpark on run-time), and there is nothing in the roughing file… It’s all being done as detail. :disappointed:

@TonyNo give it a try in Easel with a simple drawing to test.

It is pretty simple.

are both tools set the .125"?

I had 1/8" and 1/16" specified. Maybe it’s another bug that comes from the detail bit being half of the roughing bit size?

@Zach_Kaplan @JeffTalbot Zach and Jeff, I don’t even have my x-carve yet (waiting ever so patiently…), but I’d love access to this feature in Easel right now, so I can start using it right away when I get all set up. Thanks for being so responsive!

-Steve

Hi Tony,

Easel currently uses the detail bit for all outlines. The thinking is that the roughing bit is intended to be used for clearing large areas of material. Since outlines are not large areas of material (they are always the width of the bit), they are ignored by the roughing pass.

It seems like we might want to change this so that you can control which bit to use for outlines. We might add this in a future iteration.

In the mean time, since there is no “overlap” to worry about between the outlines and the fills, you can make your fills 0 depth, cut your outlines, then make your outlines 0 depth and cut your fills (or vice versa).

(By the way, when I opened your project, both the roughing and detail bit were set to 1/8". It looks like your bit sizes might not have saved correctly.)

Jeff

Good work-around.

May I have access to this to please?

Hey Jeff, I would love to test this feature out if you can give me access when you have time!

@SeanWaltz, I’ve given you access. @ThomasGonzales it appears you are already an early access user. The feature should show up for you as well.

Hmmmm I didnt see it, thats the only reason I had asked, Maybe if I restart my computer!

@JeffTalbot Just checking in, Jeff - can I get access to this as well? I don’t have my machine yet, but it’s on its way…