UGS Platform 2.0

Anyone out there using the UGS Platform 2.0 with Probing module?
Would like to hear some reviews?
This video looks like it would be a good option as a sender.

I use Platform 2.0 but not the probing module.

I love it.

I hate to be a pain but I have some questions.
Why do you not use the probing module and how do you set your Z zero?
Do you design with Vectric and if so what pp do you use?
Do you have auto spindle on and off?
I have not figured out the macros function yet and struggling to find a detailed tutorial, just bits and pieces here and there.
I am trying to learn an alternate work flow in the event of internet loss.
I appreciate any help you can give me.

Hey @MarkA.Bachman,
Add CNCjs to your list of senders to try. I’ve tried almost still of them and have kept coming back to CNCjs.

Simply because it was not available when I started using UGS 2.5 years ago. I set my zero using the Triquetra 3-axis block and have dedicated Gcode files to do X, Y, and Z probing. I also have macros setup to probe Z and reset Z zero. Why change something when it is already working?

Yes I exclusively use Vcarve Pro. I haven’t used Easel in about 1.5 years. For my PP, I use a custom one that I modified from one of the provided GRBL one (I think). Phil has a good one that he shares. He has it on his website (Vcarve Tips). The key things I remember when I made my PP is the header needs a G90 and I did some other things for my personal preference (it doesn’t go to 0/0/0 at the start, enables using arcs, turns on M7 and M8, and turns on the spindle).

Yes I have an IOT relay connected to my spindle. The header in my PP does a M3 S1 command and the footer does a M5 command in the Footer to turn it off. I also use an IOT relay to control my shop vac and thats why I have M7/M8 in the Header and M9 in the Footer to turn it off.

Macros are pretty easy. In UGS, you go to Tools → Options → UGS → Macros. Put a name in the name field, then put the Gcode you want executed in the Gcode field, and then finally put a description in if you want that will show when you hover over the macro button in the UI. Semi colon separates the different comands. For instance, here is my Z probe command as a macro:

G17; G20; G91; G38.2 Z-1 F3; G10 L20 P1 Z0.829; G91 G0 Z0.125; G90

After you fill all the fields in the window, it will automatically add more rows which will allow for adding more macros. I’m at 11 right now.

Does CNCJs have a probing module/option?
And would it use the same pp as UGS?
I will research it.

Single axis at the moment, but three can be done with a macro. I have used macros for 3 axis, and I just made a couple for that are end mill diameter independent.

I’m not sure which you use, but it should.

Easy installers:

This is a point that causes bad carves.

If you do everything the way that Inventables wants you to do them, then you are ok.

If you bump up against one of Easel’s assumptions you may not get your expected results.

1 Like

My reference to same pp was for both UGS and CNCJs.
I expect the Easel pp to not work well with other senders.
Does Phils pp add the m3 and m5 commands?
Your description of macros was as I expected however they don’t seem to work that way for me. Do I need to be connected to the controller to create the macros?
Thanks for your help.

@NeilFerreri1
@LarryM
In your opinions which sender would be less taxing on my pc?
I have a 4-5 yr old lap top that can be slow at times. I would guess that the visualization would be the taxing element for either.
Thanks

Your PP for any other sender should be to GRBL standards. Easel only supports a subset of GRBL Gcodes so you need a special one for Easel.

Quite the opposite. An Easel PP will work just fine with other senders, GRBL based ones don’t work so well with Easel.

Yes.

No. What happens when you enter them in? Does it clear the fields?

@MarkA.Bachman

I wouldn’t want to use Windows XP for the sending program. It’s not a computational issue. The problem is in the implementation of USB. USB was in the introduction phase and didn’t have drivers that were well integrated with the OS at that time.

I still have a Windows XP machine that is cranking right along without any issues.

Visualization code could be slow, but all that effects is time not accuracy.

The other issues I have with Easel are Easel specific and effect the default actions that are built into Easel state management and are only present when one uses mix and match functionality. If you use Easel exclusively then you don’t run into the incompatibility with CAM and sending function.

So in other words, Easel for everything or Easel for nothing. It becomes problematic when you use Easel for one of the functions but some other program for other functions (ie Vectric Vcarve for CAM and Easel for sending. etc.)

I downloaded the CNCJs and like the layout of the UI.
Will likely try it tomorrow.
Be prepared for questions.
Thanks

1 Like

@NeilFerreri1 So far so good with the CNCJs sender. I really like the quick access to g54 thru g59. My only complaint is that I can’t type in jog values.
@LarryM Thanks for the link to Phil’s pp it is working great.

You mean when choosing how far each click of the jog button moves you? I tend to use the console to just type my motion commands and then use the jog once I’m close.

Yes. Can you give me an example of what to enter into console if I want to move x +7" and y +5"? Which is right and back in my configuration.
Thanks

If you’re at work 0,0 you’d send G0X7Y5

Do I have to be at work 0,0 before I can send any commands?
Well tonight the UI or visualizer can’t seem to keep up. The carve finishes and goes back to start position but I can do nothing with CNCJs. It is like it went to sleep and indicates that not all lines have been sent.

When trying to report issue it asks to create an acount and I follow all the steps and I get this.

There was no captcha to be verified???

Looks like you’re not the only one.