UGSPlatform and ubuntu16.04

also you do not need to associate the file with anything as it is just a script that will run the program. if there is a missing file it will output that message in the terminal. so do not worry about java or anything else until you get the messages from the command line.

I can see that cd takes me into directories …is this also taking into files ? I can get into Desktop and home …but going further gives me “no file” …if I get into home or Desktop I cannot go further unless I do a cd by itself to like Reset the cd . I am thinking I need to get out the book and read more about the sequence of cd entries . I go to the icon on the border ,go to Home Folder …then go into Desktop …looks like it is only two levels and I should be able to go cd home/desktop to get there …guess I have a problem with the road map

I think I got there thru the Download file … got to the bin file and typed in the ./ugsplatform …it came back with ./…/platform/lib/nbexec: line 421:
cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

okay lets try setting the file to executable

run the command sudo chmod +x ./ugsplatform

it will ask for your password.

the run down of the command is

sudo = switch user (admin rights)

chmod = change/modify file

+x = make executable

./ugsplatform the file to change modify

make sure you are in the /bin folder where the file is located so this can find the ugsplatform file to make the change.

Gee …sorry to be such a pest …ha ha
That didn’t work either … I even tried the properties … I am thinking my Ubuntu has a problem …when I had been using the / forward slash the cd was not functioning consistently …I started using the \ backslash and the cd works just as it should …
I am going to work with the chmod a bit more …then maybe do some reups on updating or changing OS …maybe 18. ??

let me get home to my ubuntu system so I can check all this out. I am at work with this account and I am on windows so I can not verify everything as easily.

Downloaded and tried both stable and nightly builds.

Both failed to run due to my java version installed.

I will try to install java 8 and let you know how it goes.

uninstalled java 11 and installed java 8 all is good.

check with command java -version

you may need to install java 8

i did it with sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk

That is what I did … I will try again … I think they update “nightly” ? hmmm

I reloaded that again…says it is up to date …
made an oops , erased all the ugs downloads …gotta go get that again…github …
Hey …I got it to work on my downstairs 8 core computer …WOW , finally, …
did the ./ugsplatform command in the /bin file … will check tomorrow on the notebook…which is the main one … I am thinking either a bad download or just trying to make something different work and missing a protocal…
At least I know it works and I really ,REALLY Thank You for your patience and staying with me on this. … AGAIN Thank You.

1 Like