Unique Art Piece

14" x 20" Monkey Pod woods with Mango frame wall art piece with unique rock inlay.
Cut with 1/8 downcut bit and 60 degree v-bit for the tree.
Rock is made with colored hydraulic cement and hand formed into 1/2" deep cutout.
All finished with gloss lacquer.

64 Likes

Gorgous work. Very nice job.

2 Likes

Wow that looks really good, what’s hydraulic cement?

"What’s hydraulic cement? "
This is what I used:
QUIKRETE® Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement (no. 1126) is a rapid setting, high strength repair material designed to plug leaks instantly in concrete and masonry. Sets in 3-5 minutes and can be used above and below grade.
Designed to block running water or leaks in cracked masonry or concrete surfaces.

2 Likes

I really enjoy seeing your creative/artistic projects, thanks for taking the time to share. I’ve been loving the look of combining stone and wood. This is a really cool idea, I want to give this a try for sure.

When you say “colored”, did you add coloring or was it the type of Quikrete that you purchased that had the color in it?

Where are you snagging your monkeypod? I haven’t really found any the few times I’ve been at our specialty wood suppliers.

Very cool!

Thanks for the compliment Adam. Love to combine different mediums for a unique look.
The cement was just cement color. Added a liquid colorant. I have in other rock look projects painted the cement black as in this one and coated with resin for additional strength , but don’t think it needed it. The Hydraulic cement is plenty strong on it’s own.

6 Likes

I am fortunate to live in Hawaii. Monkey Pod is everywhere…lol

I’m on Oahu, where do you buy? Waimanalo woods and plywood hawaii didn’t have any last time I was in there.

I live in Kona. We have a big mill/ wood store in Waimea called Kamuela Hardwoods. Lots of very cool woods, and great people to work with. https://kamuelahardwoods.com/

This piece is so beautiful. The woman is so subtle, it took me a moment to see her. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m so had you mentioned her. I didn’t know she was there! That just bumped that already beautiful piece up a few notches. Stunning

The story behind this piece:
The girls face “She” is “Madam Pele”. The fire goddess of Hawaii.
The vertical light wood is the volcano eruption fountain that created the islands.
The lower horizontal grain wood is the ocean.

2 Likes

Beautiful, beautiful work ! I have some similar design ideas, but using stained glass inlays. I’ve worked in stained glass for a few years. So I thought combining glass and wood carvings from my X-Carve would be a nice avenue to explore.

Wood and inlaid? stained glass. Great idea! Would love to see what you come up with.

More photos at my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/swansonsworkshop/

But I really love layered wood art and have been experimenting with it for a little while now.

15 Likes

great