Universal Gcode Sender: Crashed in middle of carve

@DavidBurger

Ok.

First do not turn off power to the controller or the computer. Do not unplug the USB connection on either end. Either of these and all is lost.

You need to terminate the failed instance of UGCS. Most likely the serial port will be left in an indeterminate state. If you are on Windows then you can disable and then enable the serial port to clear the error.

Bring UGCS back up and see if you can connect to the serial port, however, do not do anything else at this point.

Let me know what happened.

(I have about an hour to work on this and then I have to break for some work for about an hour)

I terminated UGCS and started it up again. Was able to reconnect without having to do anything with the serial port. Iā€™m using Windows 10.

Enter the commands
$G
$#

and report the results

Enter on command line or use buttons on ā€œMachine Controlā€ tab? Maybe it doesnā€™t matter??? Just a reminder, the milling bit is down in one of the holes and canā€™t move much in the X or Y directions.

If the version of UGCS you has buttons for these commands that will do, Iā€™m using 1.0.9 and it has the $G but not the $# as a button.

Bit position noted, is it touching any surface?

Here are the results of the two commands:

**** Connected to COM3 @ 115200 baud ****

Grbl J-Tech Photonics 0.9g J Tech [ā€˜$ā€™ for help]
F500ok

$G
[G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M0 M5 M9 T0 F500.]
ok
$#
[G54:-125.051,136.286,-3.996]
[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G30:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G92:0.000,0.000,0.000]
[TLO:0.000]
[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000]
ok

The bit is very close to one of the side walls of the hole, but I canā€™t tell if itā€™s actually touching.

Also the output from the status command ( ? )

Is the bit touching the bottom of the hole?

Entering ā€œ?ā€ returns ā€œOkā€. However, I think I made a big mistake. In trying to get back to the bottom of the console, I hit the down arrow key a few times. That caused the spindle to move and smack up against the inside of the hole a couple of times. It didnā€™t go far, of course, but it did move. Damn!

I would guess the bit was touching the bottom of the hole since it was in the midst of carving when the error occurred. As mentioned in my previous post, I moved the spindle sideways, but not up and down.

Do you remember how many times you hit the down arrow?

I forgot that UGCS doesnā€™t pass the ? command to grbl.

Something else.

1 Like

I think I hit the arrow key 3 times, but Iā€™m not sure. Because the units were inches the spindle beat up on the side of the hole for a few seconds before stopping. My carving has been done in mm.

Ok, at this point your best option to save the material is to take it off the machine and finish it manually. If you just have to make the holes deeper and trim the outside you might be able to do that by hand.

Since the machine moved we would not be able to recover machine zero.

Bad luck! Thanks for all your help, though. I learned a lot!

Yeah, that sucks. It was a crap shoot anyway.

I always home my machine before I start a job even if it hasnā€™t been turned off.

@DavidBurger

Just noticed that you are running grbl 0.9g. You might want to take a look at an updated version of grbl for the JTech laser. You can find it here.

Thatā€™s the lesson Iā€™ve gotten from all this too. I will get myself educated on how to home my X-Carve. Iā€™ve also read that others identified the original error message to possibly be related to electrical interference around the USB cable. The one I use is relatively long since my laptop is a little ways from my X-Carve. Plus, I donā€™t think its of the highest quality.

Rightā€¦I intend to upgrade my grbl to the latest from JTech. Again, thanks so much for your help. May I ask how you became so knowledgeable? Are you a hobbyist like me (but with way more experience) or is this area your profession?

Actually, 0.9g is the latest from JTech. I made the modifications to 1.0c for the X-carve folks.

Two years ago I hadnā€™t touched a CNC machine. The X-carve was my introduction.

I was a software engineer for about 32 years with a lot of self taught hardware experience.

I like to learn new things.