Upgrade to NEMA 23s

Just got the new nema 23s and am installing them. More of a job than I thought it would be.
Wires are shorter than what is on the 17s so some thinking outside the box.
I like the wire length for the Y to be the same length so the signal gets there at the same time, worked well with the 17s, no lagging.
Takes a bunch of disassembly and I noticed a problem. The grooved wheel eccentric nuts dig into the carriage so some modification is necessary, washers to go in between the hut and frame but that meant turning the nuts deeper so a washer could be used, that meant I had to make washers the right size.
Good thing I can.
Now if I only had the right pulleys, somehow a miscommunication happened and I now have 3 18 tooth 5mm bore that I cannot use and none for the 23s.
Anyway that is where I am at this point, machine in pieces, no pulleys but all ready to reassemble otherwise.

You don’t need to have the wires for the steppers to be the same length. Electrical signals only take 4 nS to go through about a meter of wire. Your motors will be off more than that so it’s down in the noise.

1 Like

True enough, however, have you ever watched brake lights come@on any car/truck and noticed a lag from the drivers side, middle and passenger sides?
It is slight but quite observer able.
The wires to the left side step motor are much shorter that the right side thus creating a lag however small causing some twisting.
In other words why create a problem where one does not need to.

It doesn’t take much to have them the same length and stuff the extra into the X rail. So far it has worked well for me keeping things straight,

Nope. You might have some twisting, but it’s not coming from the length of your wires.

A single instruction instruction on the Arduino takes about 60 Nano seconds to complete, since the control signals are calculated for one motor at a time, there is probably about 10 microseconds (guessing 1000 cycles) in process lag time between each motors compute cycle.

10 micro seconds = 10,000 nano seconds. so just the processor delay is equal to about 2,500 meters of wire.

Or if there are only 100 cycles required to compute each step then that is still about 250 meters of wire.

Either way, worrying about signal propagation over a meter of wire is time that could be much better spent making sure all the electrical contacts are tight with good strain relief.