Upgraded Z-Axis Design

@JanVanderlinden for the bearing preload the parts go into the pocket in the top of the frame bracket. They should be dropped in in the following order:

Plastic spacer (bottom)
Belleville springs (middle)
Thrust bearing (3 parts, top)

The narrower parts of the belleville springs should be facing each other; the wider parts should be against the spacer and thrust bearing. This feature is optional but should help reduce slop in the Z axis due to the bearing. If there is too much tension, you can remove one of the belleville springs. If there is too little tension you can add a washer. I will make a diagram next time I am at my office (probalby tomorrow afternoon).

That drawing should be the most recent on Grabcad and it lists the hole spacings.

The drawing indicates no change since 2015 but that doesn’t mean there weren’t any.

I have 2 of these I can measure for you if you need. One is from June 2016 and the other from September 2016 (don’t ask…i’m an idiot at times). Might give you some additional reference data.

Ah - I have a sneaking suspicion that you are using the DC spindle mount (52mm diameter) whereas I, and probably quite a few others, are using the DeWalt 611 spindle mount (68.75mm diameter) which is bigger, has a much thicker mounting plate to interface the Z axis, and based on the CAD drawings, Inventables seems to have seen fit to shift the four main mounting holes by 3mm relative to the original DC spindle mount, which explains both the misaligned acme screw holes and that the mount doesn’t align to the top and bottom of your Z plate.

@KyleKronyak you have a good thing going here. Don’t blow it like this. All these guys are wanting is for you to make it right. As a potential buyer myself, I’d also like to see things work out rather than self destruct.

I think the problem has been resolved.

For the record, the misalignment of the leadscrew nut mounting holes was a mistake in my design. I am not sure how the flaw was introduced but it will be corrected for all units which haven’t been shipped yet.

For those who have received units with the flaw I can send a replacement carriage assembly which is very quick and easy to install (just requires removing 4 cap screws and 2 set screws on the upper frame bracket, sliding the carriage off, sliding the replacement carriage on, and replacing the bracket and screws). This took me less than 2 minutes using a cordless screwdriver.

The flaw can also be fixed by drilling the affected area with a 5mm - 5.2mm drill bit. Non-metric sizes in this range include #8, #9, and 13/64. To do this I recommend using an extended-length drill bit and drill with the spindle holder attached – the mounting holes in the spindle holder will guide the drill bit to ensure a straight and complete hole. This can also be performed with a rotary tool or even with the X-carve itself (obviously without the spindle holder attached :wink: )

For those who choose not to opt for the replacement carriage, I will offer a small refund for your effort. Please contact me by PM or email. Thanks!

4 Likes

well that escalated quickly.

As for that original comment, Phil was right. BUT on the other hand, the community should give a seller a little bit of slack instead of coming down hard right from the get go, because i’ve seen it before and more often than not the seller just runs, which is bad for everyone.

So fwiw you’re doing the right thing here. Much respect for admitting your mistake and doing the best you can to make it right.

7 Likes

Kyle,
If the spindle holder is supposed to be flush with the top and bottom of the carriage, then it is the (4) mounting holes that are out of location and not the lead screw Delrin nut holes.

A drill will always take the path of least resistance.
If you use the spindle as a drill guide, you will end up with a mess.

I really don’t like the idea of drilling and destroying the nice finish.
How long will it take to get a new carriage?

<

img src=“//discuss-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/original/3X/f/1/f1fe5d3edad048896bd047cc11b0274325f6538d.jpg” width=“690” height=“388”>

@JanVanderlinden I should be able to send them as soon as I get the replacement stepper driver box for my Tormach. Unfortunately apparently due to some mix-up it appears they sent it by UPS Ground instead of UPS Next Day as promised, so it may be a few days. I am hoping it will arrive Thursday afternoon so I can get the parts out before EOD Thursday and maybe have them delivered for Saturday but it depends on when I get the part in.

Hang in there. Looks like you have a great product and looks like you are handling this bump in the road well. If i didn’t already have an Ebay z rail, i definitely highly consider this one.

1 Like

Good on you for making it right. I’m eagerly awaiting the new carriage.

It’s on!

And it’s late, and I have zero energy left to really put it through its paces tonight, but it does seem to move smoothly and all.

2 Likes

SuckIt posted a Facebook update yesterday concerning wider Z axis support coming soon.

Please post when you have the parts for your Tormach and have the new carriages ready to ship.

@JeremySimmons Will do – I just checked tracking but it’s still in-transit. Notification email says Thursday, tracking says Friday, so I’m not really sure. UPS usually comes here fairly early so if it does get here Friday I can probably still get them out before the weekend.

Anyone who received a unit already and wants a replacement carriage please send me a PM if you haven’t already. Thanks!

I’d be interested when the kinks get worked out and I can use my suckit!

@CaseyMHart I should be getting a prototype of the new Suckit brackets soon. They are also getting one of my units to do testing on when I ship out the rest of the pre-orders. I may offer the Suckit kits in my store at some point but for now the quickest option will be to get it direct from them once available.

1 Like

what is the current lead time for orders placed today for a Dewalt Mount compatible z-axis? I am interested in ordering as I watch the reviews come in.

@CoryBorgel I am expecting to be all caught up on shipping pre-orders and getting new units ready for shipping early to middle of next week.