Upgrading Steppers and X Y Balance

I lose some X-axis steps sometimes, taking too deep a cut, and started researching motor upgrades. Logically you want the X axis motor to match the total torque of the two Y motors right? I was thinking a 380-400 oz.in for X and 269 oz.in for the two Y steppers. I’m curious about what combinations others have used. Are upgrading the Y motors necessary to balance, because I might just do the X.

Thanks,
Justin

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Didn’t you do heavy upgrades, which steppers are you running?

What kind of driver board do you have, Arduino+Shield or Xcontroller?
Bigger motors need bigger (more amp-capable) motor drivers to make the added torque available.

You are losing steps today, have you adjusted your motor drivers?
What are your current motors?

You might want to redo tuning and calibration first and see if that is an improvement. On my machine the Y axis tended to slip before the X would.

What controller are you using? Odds are you are nowhere near maxing out the torque your motors can provide (via current adjustment). I would consider upgrading your controler first. If you are still using a gShiled that will make a big difference. You will need to upgrade your controller if you want to go to a larger motor, so it is a good place to start. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got the 750mm w X-controller, so 4A max. I was facing some aluminum plate, when she started to wander and was cutting way too deep. I think it was the fact that the plate was attached to the bed via VHB foam tape and the bit was pulling the material further into the bit (upcut). I could see the material tweak over when ramping into the cut. Maybe a downcut bit would help facing aluminum (I do .003-.008 DOC).

Ok, I’m out of the stratosphere and went with the 269. Thanks.

1 Like

Xcontroller, good => all set for a motor upgrade.
Note that the space available for Z-axis motor is restricted to 54 or 56mm which rule out the 269oz/in for that position.

I broke a bit yesterday in alu from the same reason, upcut bit and my Z give a little => got a good hold and bit dug in :scream: I need a rigid shaft coupler…(diy cnc, not xcarve)

1 Like

Technically you can. I have the below steppers and they just fit between the stock z plate and the x carriage. And when I say just I mean “just”. :grin: The only modification needed is to replace the top two button head cap screws with tapered flat head screws and countersink them slightly in to the carriage. I wish I had taken a picture before I took my z off to replace it.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motion_Control/Stepper_Systems/Stepper_Motors_-z-_Cables/STP-MTR-23079

1 Like

6" Linear Z on the way http://r.ebay.com/X56F4L . I’m designing some taller Y plates that mount to my new 40x40 base too. I’m waiting to receive the Z so I can measure much I can raise my setup (makita router, bosch colt mount, universal z plate). How much are yall lifting these with a linear z?

Thanks again,
Justin

1 Like

Pics or it didn’t happen. This is my setup, I customized Phil’s dust shoe for the colt mount, thanks for posting those .stp files!

You have to consider that the y motors move more weight then the x and z axis motors do.

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation Phil

1 Like

Man, those 269oz steppers are HEAVY… :slight_smile: felt like I had 2 house bricks shipped via UPS

1 Like

I installed the linear rail and used it to cut my new Y plates (.3" thick). I got a huge 1/4" and a 5/16" aluminum plate from the metal scrap yard for $8. I also cut a bracket to strap the top of the linear rail to the 1x1 extrusion for Phil’s dust boot. Good thing I left them long! Motors coming tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

1 Like

Check this out at Amazon.com
3PCS Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor 2.8A 269oz.in 76mm Bipolar for Hobby CNC Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QG2HPMM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_x7pbzbSGD4QMR

Are these the stepper motors you are talking about? If I get them will I have to change my arduino g shield?

Hmm, I have the Xcontroller so I don’t know. Do your research, but I got 4 of those exact steppers shipped for less than that. Search “stepper omc”

http://us.omc-stepperonline.com/3pcs-of-nema-23-cnc-stepper-motor-28a-19nm269ozin-23hs302804s-p-396.html

cheaper here. 79ish after shipping.

1 Like

mine are coming in today. I’m hooking up to the Xcontroller, aside from adjusting the pots, anything I should know?

1 Like

sweet, so all should be well. Thanks!

1 Like