Using Super Gradient Generator to Produce Shield

I love this new app. I tried tinkering with it last night for about an hour and got a couple of things I think. Trying to carve a round Viking shield and would like the shield to have a traditional circular curve on the outer edges like the Captain America shield and can’t quite figure it out.

Hello @JerryMarsh; welcome to the forum!

I have moved this post to the Projects section for discussion.

Can you provide a cross-sectional view of how you want the shield shaped?

A simple drawing like this will suffice…

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Hello Brandon,

Yes I have a Viking SVG file that I am carving on a 23.75” diameter piece of pine. The look that I am going for is a standard convex shaped shield like your drawing. I have tried playing with the super gradient app but have only been able to create a bowl like image. Also when generating the tool paths it freezes for a very significant amount of time, times out and then I either have to exit out of the entire screen and go back into it or press the “wait” for it to respond and it never does.

try using this Bezier Cone Generator app instead of super gradient app

You can do it easily with the Super Gradient Generator app. You simply set the “Start Depth” to the stock material thickness and the “End Depth” to zero. Also, set the Curve Type to outer-radius. I used 1000 steps in the file below, but there might be an internal limit; I haven’t checked. The second workpiece is for viewing purposes only…

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Wow thank you Brandon. I will try this

Update. So I uploaded my svg of the shield, highlighted it and went to apps & searched up Super gradient. It populates my image of the shield and I set the parameters as you stated and when I upload it and “generate” it just shows the image flat. I was thinking I needed to create the same size circle as my image next to it and use the super gradient on the circle with your parameters and then upload it next to my image and then “bring to front” the shield and lay the gradient circle on top but when generating it freezes and does nothing.

Well, if you want something carved into (or out of…however you want to look at it) the face of the shield then you will have some compromising to do. Easel will not conform a pocket to another surface; i.e. your dragon (or whatever you want on the shield) will not be a consistent depth/height with respect to the shield surface. Now, if you are filling a carving with epoxy or something like that then it really shouldn’t matter that much.

Do you have the “Viking SVG” that you mentioned above? If you do not wish to share it publicly or cannot for any reason, feel free to PM me and I can work with you privately to get what you want. Then, I will just post a solution with a random image on the shield for others to be able to use.

Brandon Parker

@JerryMarsh, did you want to work on it further or are you all set. If you want me to see what I can come up with in Easel using that image, I will need to know where you got it (link to it), you can post the image here, or you can PM me the image.

Brandon Parker

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.