Using the "Line Tool"

Ok, so here it is.

I thought I was being clever and using the line tool create a repetitive design and keep them equally spaced to make need little trivets for Christmas gifts this year.

I made three designs I like and put circles around them and all that and set it to cut full depth of the wood. I am using a 1/4 bit to keep nice chonky lines, but that is where I am running into my issues. Since I used the “line tool” if I try to do a detail pass it will just change the line to the detail bit.

Is there a way, for me to adjust my design, so that I can keep all the spacing and cut sizes and be able to use a 1/4 bit for ruffing and a 1/8 for detail? or even just a 1/8?

When the carve is completed there are quite a bit of fuzzies and I think that is just due to the fact that it is a single plunge cut and not a nice “carve cut”??? Not sure if that’s the right word…

What are y’alls thoughts and Ideas on this issue?

Thanks,
Drew

1 Like

Maybe just try a single pass at full depth when you are done to clean things up. I do it all the time and it can make a big differance in the finished product and since it is a full depth pass it does not take long.

2 Likes

Andrew, What material is this, it kinda looks like Poplar, which is quite stringy and difficult to not get those fuzzies without the right bits… . a downcut bit may help…

But Also, here’s a quick video I made with some Tips about re-creating those designs so that you can use other sized bits without distorting the design… and some tricks about masking shapes as well.

1 Like

Thank you both for your reply!

Seth, when I first saw your vid, I thought “Dang, My trivets look just like his” then I realized you used my project :slight_smile: !!

There is a lot that I still have to learn about this software for sure. You make it look so easy and I made it so much harder on myself.

These are being made using Hard Maple and Walnut. I will let you know how they work out.

Thank you, Drew

1 Like

@SethCNC - Would taking shallower and slower cuts help prevent the stringy results? I am working on redoing them using the texture thing too so thanks for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.