This is my first sign ever, so I'm still learning. I research and learn from others, then dive in and see what happens, so take that as you will. Now, let me take you through a bit more of what I did.
I knew what I wanted to produce but I had to do it it in two processes because of the software I'm using for now. I'm testing myself by going that route, but I'm cheap!!!
The field of the plaque was easy to create using PrintMaster and, no doubt, other software can do the same thing. All I needed was a BMP to feed into F-Engrave to get the V-carve code.
I couldn't find a suitable frame in PM so I had to draw one myself. I'm well-versed in SketchUp, so I whipped that out easily. SketchUcam easily created the gcode from my SU drawing.
After I had prepared both sets of gcode, then I had to determine a course of action. The X0, Y0 point is lower left, so I set up my board with the spindle in that location. After the frame was cut, I had another option for the field. F-Engrave allows you to choose the X0, Y0 location, so I set it to be the absolute center of the field. That way, I could move my spindle to a point that was easy to measure in the center of the panel.
Set spindle to X0, Y0 (lower left) and run the frame code.
Set spindle to center of the frame for the new X0, Y0 point, then run the field code.