V Carving Help

Keep slowing down the feed rate , if it improves drastically it means u have slop In the belts and v-wheels you should be able to carve at 30-40 ipm easily a dull bit doesn’t help either. speeding up a dull bit up just creates heat . V carving looks almost hypnotixingvwhen it’s working correctly it makes smooth fluid movements and almost sings through the wood if that makes sense.

For 60degree, I like both of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P4NSYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_PHkCCb52TSCC4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012JCSJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DJkCCb5DZTEYR

I switched to those white side bits a few months back and they seem to run smoother I think it’s because they dont have that big head on them I feel like that makes them more balanced. They even carve quieter.

I’ve been using this with good results. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DCMDRU. Broke the tip, dropped it as I recall, and turned the cutter to a new edge, and I’m getting really smooth cuts, so the price worked out nice for me. The first (previous) bit I had used was a router bit and didn’t cut smooth in the bottom because it was 2 pieces of carbide, avoid that type - it isn’t meant for this kind of work.

Is that well balanced and does it have four cutting points on the insert?

I’m not sure about balanced, it seems so. I run it on 2-3 on the dewalt, and it seems smoother there. The bottoms are really clean. I have been cutting text (using f-engrave app), and am pretty happy with the results.

There are 4 cutting points. Little tiny screw holds it in, so have to be careful changing the point…

Does it index in the center well?
If so I might have to try one of those.
The price was really good.

Just looked at the reviews and many said the insert is hard to index?

I appreciate all of the feed on this! I apologize that I’ve been a little busier than normal and that i haven’t had the time to actually offer up any meaningful feedback…

After my last comments I have done a couple other carves. These other carves I used a 1/8" straight bit. Both were slower. I spent a decent amount of time hovering. I felt like I still saw those shaking effects moving diagonally, but that they were drastically reduced.

I’m not sure if that was a bit quality, bit shape, machine calibration, carve settings or whatever kinda combination, but there definitely seems to be similar issues, just less noticeable.

On a a stritcly this

Not to bump an old thread, but I wanted to follow up on this and finish it.

I ended up getting a better bit, checking all my v wheels, belts and such. This helped a lot. I didn’t realize how out of wack my machine was (and probably still is), but after the adjustments and a new bit, I followed your guys’ advice on going slower like (60% of recommended settings), and making two passes. I also ran the 611 at about notch 2. Things were far from perfect, but everything turned out as good as I could have hoped for. I throw in a picture below.

I still notice that issue I mentioned, but after the adjustments it’s much less noticeable, at least at low speeds. A mystery for another day.

Thanks again to everyone for their help with this, I really appreciate everything!

4 Likes

Funny, I didn’t have any problems with it. You do need to clear the cavity where the back of the blade goes. I broke the tip of first edge dropping it.